Another fenderless 53

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking cool Todd. I like the side view mock up, also the grill looks like it is gonna work out great to cover the frame horns. This thing is gonna look very cool and handle like a go kart I think!

It's been so cold here in Kansas that I saw a Democrat wth his hands in his own pockets today! I been traveling also so hence not much done on the truck. As I mentioned have been down in Benton county Arkansas visiting my wifes folks. While there I made a short walk down into a Holler as they say in Arkansas where 2 old Chevy trucks had been pushed about 20 some years ago. One is a pre 54 5-window and the other was a long 55-57. Both were picked over pretty good and stuck in the mud about 16". Sorry no photos. I didn't have my camera. Anyway found a usable front bed end and some tail gate hinges along with a trim peice for the seat that I needed.

oldnumber53gmc004-1.jpg

I remembered that I had this cross member made from 2x3 left over from my 56 truck. I sat it in place and realized it was about perfect for this truck. I made some basic sketches for the rear frame and got some measurements for the width and lenght. Looks like 37" wide and 67" from my reference point to the attach point of the rear lower controll arms. From there it can go up about 45 degrees to the cross member for the coil over shocks.

oldnumber53gmc001.jpg

Here is the reference point on the sub frame. It is 29" from the lower ball joints

oldnumber53gmc012-1.jpg

I am working on a deal for some old Late Model stock car shocks with coil over kits from a racer freind. Once I get them I can determine how much kick up I'll need for my frame.

oldnumber53gmc009.jpg

That was a pic of the 2 speed axle controll. I have a 200r tranny also. It would be cool to have that hooked up to a lock up converter. I think it looks pretty cool and I'm not sure what I will do with it. Just a thought.

I forgot to mention the 65 Mustang is not mine. I'm building a 331 cu stroker from the 289 that was in it for a guy. Waiting on the machine shop on that one. It will also have AFR heads, It should have a little more snap than before. The proceeds from that will go toward finishing the 53.

I'm disassembling the mock up so that I can start building the frame. I made good use of a ATV lift to move the cab to the shop door so that I could lift it out side with my tractor. The ATV lift was non functional and givin to me. All it needed was some hydraulic oil and to get the air out of it.

oldnumber53gmc002-1.jpg

I also fashioned this lifting device from some stuff I had lying around. I tested first by lifting the old Six banger from the truck and getting a little rough to see if it would hold up. This makes it possible to get the cab in and out of my garage door as it is only 8' tall.

oldnumber53gmc004-2.jpg

Next I'll build some more saw horses to hold the frame up in the strike zone so I can work on it. I may have some more chassis goodies later this week so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Keep it coming dude. I plan to do a similiar type chassis so its good to see how another is approaching the task. Make sure you show us how you mount the motor with the set back. thanks.

I really like where your going with your build Todd. I like the removable hard top idea too. I've thought about doing the same thing to my 51 F1. Keep the pics coming. I'm enjoying your thread a lot.

Thunder

TW,

Those headers are nasty... and I love them for the Olds. What are they??

Actually they are rejects from my 56 chevy truck. I'm going to build some for this project also. I just set them up to get an idea what I wanted to do. The toughest thing so far is where to find Olds header flanges. I would hate to have to build some, The headers take long enough as it is. I need to find a set old headers to rob the flanges off of.

Okay I started building the frame. sort of. The first thing I did was strip the sub frame back down except I left the steering box in place for a spell. I leveled the frame and got it as plum as possible. I then tacked it to the saw horses with some scrap so it would stay put.

7777.jpg

I also had to build another saw horse. I had some scrap black pipe and 1x3 square tubing for that. It needed to be 32" high as to match the others.

9999.jpg

I set the cross member peice in place just see what I had. The next step will be to notch the frame up to where it kicks up and cut some 2x3 for the rails for back to the crossmember. I'm going to sleep on this before I take the plasma torch to it.

Siskill.jpg

Oh by the way this is my rodent controll expert. He was responsible for removing the pack rats in the truck. He has had a feild day during this cold weather. To my best estimate he bagged 6 feild mice during the cold snap where the weather got around zero. All in my house! I'm a big fan of his work except he leaves his kills behind and FUBAR!

Nice build! Cat must be from that "other hot rod site" , looks like he hates rats :D

Oh by the way this is my rodent controll expert. He was responsible for removing the pack rats in the truck. He has had a feild day during this cold weather. To my best estimate he bagged 6 feild mice during the cold snap where the weather got around zero. All in my house! I'm a big fan of his work except he leaves his kills behind and FUBAR![/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back