Another Junk Store find! A tool box for the 51!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

I've stumbled across several cool inexpensive things over the past couple of weeks. First I found my WWII radio box / battery box, and more recently I found this tired old WWII era military "telephone stowage" box for $10.00. It was looking pretty sad when I found it. Several coates of some kind of heavy duty oil based paint covered the entire thing except one spot on the lower corner where it chipped off. I got to looking at it and discovered it was made of solid brass underneath. :D So I brought it home to see if I could strip it. One thing's for sure, there isn't a paint stripper made that would come close to loosening the finish!! :eek: So I broke out the heavy duty wire brush attachment for my drill and about two hours later it was totally wore out but here's what was underneath all that paint. I think I'm going to mount it in my bed and use it for an onboard toolbox. I have a nice old large brass padlock with a key that will secure the lid.

T1

1. What it looked like before, 2. The dog and the box, 3. A close up of the box.

Attachments

• Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 362.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 362.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 380.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 380.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 384.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 384.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hmmm...

Dog doesnt look inpressed...:D :D :D :D...hehehehehehe.Hey Pat,I went hunting on Evilbay and found a few of those old radios boxes.,might be building me one too....

Dog doesnt look inpressed...:D :D :D :D...hehehehehehe.Hey Pat,I went hunting on Evilbay and found a few of those old radios boxes.,might be building me one too....

No, she had Frisbee throwing and catching on her mind. She was waiting for me to go throw it for her. That's cool you found the old radios. There around, you just have to look for them. Be prepaired to put some time in on it! There's a ton of stuff to detach from the face plate! Also remember to shield it inside with some kind of rubber or other non conductive material.

T1

I am a slut for old tool boxes. I have several I thought might fit in on my ratrod, none as cool as youres though. I do have a couple Fordson tool boxes I hope to use somewhere, maybe inside.

I am a slut for old tool boxes. I have several I thought might fit in on my ratrod, none as cool as youres though. I do have a couple Fordson tool boxes I hope to use somewhere, maybe inside.

Thanks Willowbilly! Me too! I've bought several over the past year. I have an old one about the size of a briefcase I paid $2.00 for. It's pretty cool and locks too. I'm pretty sure it was for a power tool of some kind. I'd like to get it pinstriped and use it for something some day. Those Fordson boxes are nice. I've come across several of those too. I just wasn't willing to pay what they wanted for them. $40.00 - $50.00 in most cases and those were in rough shape at that. :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back