another z'ed frame question - mockup order

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi everyone

so i have decided to install my front axle back to the stock way and get some better shocks. i had designed a funky new setup with the leaf springs under the solid front axle but as people have pointed out, i never accounted for the axle-roll effect when braking. so i am going to go back to the standard setup on the 53 dodge truck.

i just got a plasma cutter and hope to have the rear suspension all in place by next week.

my next question is: i want to z the frame but am unsure of the correct mockup order. do i work on getting the frame and body mounted correctly then deal with the drivetrain or vice versa?

also why are there such dramatic differences in how people z the frame. meaning i see some people say "ear is z'ed 15 inches , front is 5". my guess was that you would want the frame either level or maybe with a bit of rake so whatever it took to get that angle is what determines the amount of front/rear z'ing?

am i overcomplicating this? sorry for dumb questions. my plan was:

1- get front sus back to stock, maybe removing a few leaf springs properly to drop it a bit
2 - get rear sus in place with hopefully correct pinion angle!
3 - make sure frame is level
4 - measure cab dimensions etc and mark up the frame
5 - pie cut the frame in spots so i can maneuver it and set the cab atop it and on blocks about 5-7 inches off the ground, then tack weld the frame in place.
6 - send pics to you all and get feedback

or am i just way off base here?

also why are there such dramatic differences in how people z the frame. meaning i see some people say "ear is z'ed 15 inches , front is 5".

NWM,
The rear is typically z'd more because the rear suspension requires more room than the front... depending on what type of rear suspension you use. To make a bobber type truck u typically use an arched buggy spring type (see foto) and not a modern leaf spring setup as that requires a lot of of length & but typically not as much height. Hope this helps!

BoB

Attachments

• KoolRearEnd.jpg
    KoolRearEnd.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Back