Anyone hurricane preparing ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the aftermath. I'm way up in the state, so it will be calmed down time it gets here unless it turns in a cat 5 and comes straight up US 43......

I haul roofing shingles for a living, so looking for some shingles to get blown off so I can haul them some replacements....hope nobody has any severe damage, just a few shingles blown off.

I reckon I'll drag the generator out and put some fresh gas in it. It hasn't been out of the corner in four years. I pull the rope every six months or so just to wipe the rust off the cylinder. We left for one storm, years ago, and that was a nightmare. Not going anywhere again.

I ran out this afternoon to run some errands and to feed the cats at the shop, and it is a MADHOUSE out there ! :eek: People are driving like idiots (moreso than even usual) and I went to 4 stores before I found some D batteries for our flashlights. The shelves at the stores look like they went through the LA riots and looting.

Tomorrow we are going to move the cars around in the shops to get them away from the overhead doors, and maybe put the welders up on some pallets to get them off the deck a little higher. Probably will throw some tarps over them too in case the roof leaks.

The latest weather I heard was that Key West should get it sorta hard, and it may skirt us by going up the Gulf of Mexico. But Hurricanes are goofy and you never know where they end up until they end up.

Stay safe everyone.

Don

hurricane

Yeah Don never can tell with these crazy hurricanes. Looks like the news media has really blowed more wind on this one than the hurricane itself. Hopefuly it stays out in the gulf away from us. My Mother lives down by you in LeHigh Acres and biggest problem they have there is drainage. I'll take our hurricane anyday over the midwests tornados,at least we know whats coming and can get the hell out of Dodge if need be. Stay safe.:cool:

Not that this is a good thing by any means, but hurricanes sure can put a lot of people to work. Like Bamamav mentioned about the shingles, when Charlie hit down here you couldn't find a roofer, carpenter, electrician, etc that wasn't booked out a year in some cases.

I was in the boating business and we made a ton of money selling replacement canvas, rails, windshields, and every other part that was damaged on all the boats down here. The insurance companies weren't even questioning those repairs because they had millions of dollars going out for homes and businesses that were destroyed so the boat claims were relatively small potatoes.

Every week I had trailer trucks showing up with stuff like complete interiors, windshields, etc and it got so that we didn't have room to keep it until we got around to doing the labor on the boats. It's a hell of a way to make money, but it is just one of those things that happens.

Don

Like Don said, it's sad to make a profit off of somebody else's misfortune, but that's just the way it is. Now I said profit, not a killing. The lowlifes that want to take advantage of a disaster and make a killing by overcharging folks make me mad.

This morning's NOAA tracking chart has ISSAC hitting dead center of Mobile bay, then skirting up the MS-AL line. If it follows that track, that will put me on the "wet" side, I'm about 30 miles east of the state line, but I'm 200 miles inland from the Gulf. It depends on how strong it is when it hits land and how much strength it loses before it gets up here as to what happens around here. I look for lots of rain and some high winds, and maybe some spin off tornadoes.

I may just take off the day it comes through here. Don't really want to have to fight the wind and rain and the traffic....

We got nothing at all. Not sure what I am going to do with all this canned tuna and bottled water. :eek:

Most current info seems to have it hitting New Orleans, but only as a Cat 1. Hope everyone up there makes out ok. After Katrina they have to be worried.

Don

Lots of rain but nothing major here in So Flo. Just a small stream instead of a street in front of my house. It's still raining though so it may be a larger stream after while. The canals are about to the brim.

Rain rain go away. Just walked around the corner and snapped this. I was talking to a fellow who said the water is in his house now. The ground is fully saturated. I reckon that the disadvantage of only being 13 feet above sea level.

Bill, I was surprised to see that you guys on that side of the State got so much wind and rain, even having thousands of people without power.:eek: We only are about 2 feet above sea level, so it would have really drowned us if we had gotten the brunt like you did.

The one upside is, you always wanted waterfront property, now you have it ! :D

Stay safe over there.

Don

Latest posts

Back