Big Kids Big Wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really wasn't planning on working on the thing tonight, but I needed a break from the task at hand (daily household chores) but then I never returned :D

I wanted to get the neck all cleaned up and ready for new tubes. Grinding off all the old tubes, welds and other crap.
Also found some smaller DOM to use as weld backer inside the main tube. Drilled a few holes for rosette welds in the main tube.
photo_zps944db553.jpg

And welded in the backer.
photo_zps6d30e5b8.jpg

Set the neck at the desired angle (which turned out to be 50*.......go big or go home right?)
photo_zps187157e6.jpg

I am absolutely discusted at my weldes tonight. I actually vomited in my mouth a little after I was done. I had no business welding tonight. I will be going back and grinding them out and redoing them.
photo_zps6ce6bc4f.jpg

photo_zps2e111a9a.jpg

I decided to follow what Honda did on the frame originally and cut slots in the tube that telescopes into the downtubes and weld solid. The factory only had 1 1/2" of overlap, I decided to go 3".
photo_zpsffa54147.jpg

photo_zps58b72515.jpg

After I grind the welds on the neck and redo them, I'll cut a couple plates like this out to reinforce it. These will be out of 3/16" plate. Once those are on, this neck should be stronger then factory.
photo_zps20513d85.jpg

Once the rest of the frame is mocked up, I'll be able to remove the engine, turn the frame over, and get all the welds from the under side. I'll get the ends of the telescoping downtubes at that time.

Yeah, I've got a couple manometers. Is there a port they plug into somewhere?

Yeah...... Bikers roll like that, but only when needed :D

When your really manly you actually have to have a meter to measure it becuase it is beyond human ability to graps..if anyone needs to borrow it,(mine reads lower that I think it should[S):D
There should be a port on the intake manifold between the carb and head for each carb, if not a vac port on the end of the carb that goes to the manifold

remember when you was a kid and the boy down the street got a new big wheel and then you wanted one too???[dr....ya, it's kinda like that. It's looking real good[P[P[cl

[dr wow this is cool any up dates [cl

Ya know, it looks really sweet sitting in the middle of my garage in mockup. I bought, then promptly lost the carb rebuild kits :mad:
I have the rear section of the frame tacked together, but I don't like how it turned out so I'm going to redo it.
I bought some really heavy DOM that I need to turn down just a touch so I can mount them in the triple trees, then I gotta learn how to make bronze bushings so I can get the front axle built with the rockers.
Nothing to note as of yet, but ill post more once I get moving on it again.

I was wondering if you had givin up on our bike:D

Of course not :D
Ill post a couple photos of what I have.
I don't have a good tubing bender, so the seat support had to all be bent by hand. Problem is, I've used a good tubing bender before, and I'm trying to mimic that quality, which I can not by hand :rolleyes:
I think my best option is to take it back down to the backbone and start the supports over and just use straight sections cut and butt welded together with some internal sleeves.
Pictures in a few.........

Who needs a good tubing bender[S. good vise and a torch works great:D

Can't wait to see some new pics [cl

You asked for it :)
photo-2329.jpg

photo-1970.jpg

photo-1735.jpg

Oddly enough, it turns out that its quite difficult to make multiple bends in a tube with all different angles, then attempt to match the second one exactly!
I suspect that even if I had a real tubing bender, it would still be a challenge.

As you can see, they don't match each other very well :rolleyes:

Here's the tubing I got for the front fork setup. It might be a little overkill (considering this thing only has a 250cc engine pushing it) But whatever :)

photo-1443.jpg

One thing I DID get done, which was also sitting on a back burner for a while was this fancy bench someone felt was not worthy of occupying the earth any longer. I saved it.

Once again, don't have all the right tools, so it came out a little rougher then I had hoped. Oh well, by butt doesn't seem to notice :)

photo-2433.jpg

photo-1635.jpg

photo-2077.jpg

photo-591.jpg

photo-1607.jpg

photo-1654.jpg

Latest posts

Back