Big Kids Big Wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUT....... Why are we taking cover????? [S

Obviously you're not on the site enough!!! We had a hell of shoe sale goin on!!

I'm gonna miss that little fella. Kinda like that friend you keep around purely for entertainment :)

Looked like he had some good deals!! I shoulda done my Christmas shopping for her through him!!

Well we could all use a little "Sole"...lol

Shoes?? Really???? Pushing Shoes???? Was it really a good deal?? Kidding...:D
So many spammers......so little time...

Hemi powered Big wheel [cl

Attachments

• hemi bigwheel.jpg
    hemi bigwheel.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 23
Well, I suppose I better let everyone know that I'm back at it on the trike for a while.
The upper rear frame section under the seat bummed me out on the thing, and it was dragged outside to continue work on its natural patina.

The other day I walked past it, and it looked sad sitting there in piles...... So back into the shop it went.

I was also struggling with how to make a solid mount for the rear axle while keeping it adjustable.
Came up with a few designs before it finally clicked!

So I made a paper template with all the measurements I need. Then I set out looking for someone who can cut these with a CNC plasma or laser so I have two identical pieces.
Here's some pretty pictures.

photo-19.jpg

photo-20.jpg

photo-21.jpg

Plate2.jpg

And one of those fancy clicky videos of the final concept.

The plates will be the connection point from the lower portion of the frame, and whatever I decide with the upper section. I believe I'll be redoing the upper seat mount section somehow, but this is a start.

Well, I wanted to spend some time on figuring out what the final look will be while I wait for my plates.
BTW, BIG shoutout to RPM here for working with me to get these cut! He and I talked this morning on the phone and he's a stand up guy! I'll be having him work more material for me in the future for sure!

Anyways, a buddy came over and we shot the breeze for a while messing around with seat placement. He started pulling out different tanks and placing them on the bike. I went inside for a minute, came out and he had a tank from another friends project sitting on the trike. The lines on it were PERFECT! Although it was way too wide.
After a bit of conversation with my other buddy, I convinced him into letting my buy the tank from him so I could cut it up and use it.
This tank came off a Goldwing I believe.

Here it is just sitting on the bike.
2b8d39d7b198a1004d2797db2d81260a.jpg

e87daa79ae9bc08256cd441b5c003aca.jpg

Once we decided that it belonged on the bike, it was onto cutting.
Out comes the factory gas cap (which will be reused) and taking 2" out of the center.
008c69e97313aa946fc113967951ea8c.jpg

Got to cutting and it was smoking up pretty good. Figured it was just the paint smoking, but it didn't quit! WTF?!
Craigslist morons win again!
5d047861551b308ae9ea9d063dff3c7c.jpg

Someone had stuffed a rag in there...... For some reason.
3b4bdef2d6587b0979afb98670890f32.jpg

Into the butt bucket it went........ To be used to warm my hands later.
0b5b9069f44b33dc2c78ba6487825fbe.jpg

And it's halved.
photo-22.jpg

Now that this is behind us, we tacked the tank halves together to set on the bike and see how it looked.
1669be3c53aab471596cb9ad03d34d8f.jpg

86e05cb15e62df583f398d0045641c40.jpg

The seat will be moved forward to clean up the shape.
Of course, the upper frame (which won't be used anyways) will be rebuilt to support the seat in its final location.
8ab0f9ec822fb68c44ba5ae11f2af269.jpg

Last edited:
As usual, I w s planning to keep the factory control locations in place......but that's going to change now.
Forward controls it is.
580e89f26b16dec1dddeab46003f19d6.jpg

85acfc6baedc7ee87f842213ec3d8848.jpg

This tank is going to require a complete rework in the bottom side to fit right. After all, this isn't a Goldwing.
I will be trying hard to keep the factory petcock setup which has a tube going to the center back side of the tank with a screen.
There is also a vent that has a tube that comes to a hose bung under the tank, through the inside, to a mount WAY at the top of the tank to vent fumes.
I REALLY like this design, and the vent portion is something I've struggled with in the past.

Of course, since the tank is split in half, I will be cleaning the crap out of it to rid it of all the rust is has accumulated. No better time to do it!

I posted a thread last Friday looking for someone who could accurately cut these rear plates and RPM stepped up! He called Sunday morning and we talked abut what I needed, and he had them in the mail Monday morinig. On my doorstep this afternoon [cl

So I set out to build the rear cage.
photo-23.jpg

photo-24.jpg

photo-25.jpg

photo-26.jpg

photo-27.jpg

photo-28.jpg

I'm hoping this thing will be stiff enough to fight all the torsion loads a trike experiences.
I had it made in 1/4" plate so the bottom two frame rails will saddle the plate and be welded on both sides. Same thing with whatever the top ends up being.

If I have to, I can put diagonal bars between the top and bottom frame to eat more torsion loads, but I think that's overkill.

Latest posts

Back