BI's 1930 Sedan highboy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on the fence about wether or not to chop, channel and lower my '32 plymouth when I finally get around to working on it...

And after seeing this build, I think, actually, I KNOW what the gameplan is.

Thanks much for settling my own personal debate.

Your car is gold.

BI,
Very cool rod, reminds me of a rod from my high school days it was kind of a dirty white model A high boy sedan with the letter A - and a pic of a fuse light bomb "THE A-BOMB" in bright red letter and graphics. I always wanted that hot rod......now I want yours!

Love the car.

Get some color on the wheels and go from there regarding any accent color on the body.

Thanks for the kind words fellas! Next steps are windshield, brake light and paint the wheels.

Oh, and a floor and a shifter and some zoomie baffles and....

Back to work! [;)

It's beautiful.

I frown in the general direction of anything gold, but that's just me...and it'd take a lot more than a little gold paint to wipe the smile off my face that this car put there!

-Chaz

You been holding out on us you sum biotch! Looks awesome! Not sure why you thought we wouldn't like it. I think you hit it right out of the park with this one. [P

Installed some baffles this weekend and am very happy with them. I got these on ebay, just searched under "motorcycle baffles". These are basically the same as the Car Chemistry ones I've heard about, except 2" longer and $10 apiece cheaper.

I wrapped the fiberglass in welding wire to hopefully keep it from blowing out as fast. Most of it will end up on the road I'm sure though.

I'd say it cuts the noise in 1/2 but still has the same deep rumble. In the past I used the cheapie "can opener" style but they sound like crap, especially at idle.

The 3rd pic is the cheapie ones I used before - would not reccommend those.

Attachments

• baffles1.jpg
    baffles1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 37
  • baffles2.jpg
    baffles2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 29
  • baffles cheap.JPG
    baffles cheap.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 35
Are those expanded on both ends? Bet it still will bark when you get in it too. They look like the inside of a decent glasspack.

why not add a big whasher to the end of the tube and tack weld them in there???

They are expanded at both ends to fit the pipe and come with a small bolt. You drill a hole in the back of the pipe and bolt them in. Or you could just tack them in.

Yeah - they are still very loud when you get into the throttle but not ear-splitting like before. The main benefit is you can cruise at light throttle past your neighbors and its pretty quiet. Also starting it up in the garage wont rattle any windows.

I'm really happy with the way the wheels came out. Looks so much better! Hours of taping them up paid off and the gold is just what I was looking for.

Also got my floor in. Another advantage of hi-boys - totally flat floors!

Attachments

• PC220731.JPG
    PC220731.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PC220732.JPG
    PC220732.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 47
  • PC220730.JPG
    PC220730.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 47
  • PC220729.JPG
    PC220729.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 44
Minor updates. Finally got my windshield in. Had to buy an aluminum repro Model A windshield and cut it down to fit. Local shop filled it with laminated safety glass.

Also got tired of looking at the crusty, dented valve covers so popped for some new ones. I really just wanted some plain steel, but options are limited for this motor, so chrome it is.

Attachments

• P1190696.JPG
    P1190696.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1190698.JPG
    P1190698.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back