bored

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would put a good plan together first.

I am a tool whore I love tools and will buy anything that say's tool on it. I start projects just so that I can justify buying the tool I want. However, having a great set of tools and no material isn't the right thing either.

Back in the old day's I used to have a $400 dollar rule on cars I would never buy anything costs over $400 bucks. I have now raised that to $1,000 you know infaltion and all.

When I get bored with something I don't want to work on it, mostly because I have either become frustrated with the things that didn't turn out like I wanted and I don't want to put the time and energy into fixing it.

Having said all that I don't have a solution for you but, for me I when I get where you are I need a plan. Some times I need to plan down to the smallest detail, because I have lost the focus.

Any psychiatrists out there?

This is similar what I'm going through at the moment. I have a regular job (I'm a mechanic) plus I rent a 1800 square foot shop for my cars and trucks and all my junk. Let me tell you, after working on everyone else's cars all day, it's VERY hard for me to get motivated to work on my '61. I've even been staying away from this site for the last couple of weeks because I get sick of vehicles (and the people who own them, my customers,God love 'em) in general. I get into a funk and then I can't stand work OR my own shop. And let me tell you, if I ignore my own shop it can get real expensive real quick. Not to hijack this thread, but anyone got any suggestions on how to balance all of this? I'd go into another line of work,but wrenchin's all I know, and all things considered I enjoy it most of the time. HELP!!!:confused:

Let me tell you, after working on everyone else's cars all day, it's VERY hard for me to get motivated to work on my '61.

...anyone got any suggestions...?

...all things considered I enjoy it most of the time. HELP!!!:confused:

Do something you can't do at work.

Listen to very loud music. Make a video tape or still pictures of what you're doing (then post them where we can see them). Get a "shop" dog. Have some friends over for pizza and everyone work on everyone else's cars. Drink a beer or two, but not three - you don't want your welds to wander. Watch a hot rod movie while you're working.

These are not the most efficient or quickest ways to get the job done, but it'll make it more fun than when you're at work trying to turn them out as quickly as you can. Good luck!

just like with any job at times you have to just back off a little once in a while. I have streches at work where im pulling 12 hour days 6-7 days a week. its great to get those big paychecks but eventually you need to just tell the boss man to give you your 40 for the next few weeks.

it also might help if you get your hands on a new (or old ) hobby. within the last year I got back in to Fishing, fixed up an old canoe and took up pinstriping and drawing. Ill never be a great fisherman or artist but its great to dump the old canoe in and toss in a line and relax with a buddy or click on some mellow tunes and doodle for a few hours. hell, Im even going to give Ice fishing a try this winter. :p

What wsDad and shizzy said, don't make a radical change, just diversify your time a little. Take a break and go fishing with a kid. When you get back, jump on some project you have all the parts for, and knock it out. Visible progress get's you motivated.

As for the original question about selling and what to do with the aquired funds, I say stick them in the bank and add to them every week , till you find a project you really want to do. For me, the reason some of my projects take years, is usually funds...

Caddy and Hot rod are really preaching to the choir so to speak. I understand what hot rod is saying, I to get bored with a project and get the itch to move on. recently my sargent told me that he had figured out why i am late for work by a few minutes every now and then. he told me that he was looking on a profile for personality types and he noitced one that talks about Creative personalities. it said that creative types are not concerned with time, and have difficulty focusing on mundane tasks. lets face it the type of people that create rolling works of art are a creative bunch of folks, and spot welding is very mundane, LOL. this is a hobby that is suppose to make you happy, if selling your car and buying tools in preperation for the next project will make you happy then do it.

here is a suggestion that a friend of mine still uses. he goes out and buys projects, builds them into "rollers" and then sells them and allows some one else to finish them, he gets his creative fix, and make a buck in the mean time.

PS what are you asking for the Merc? LOL

Pablo

... it said that creative types are not concerned with time, and have difficulty focusing on mundane tasks. lets face it the type of people that create rolling works of art are a creative bunch of folks, and spot welding is very mundane, LOL. this is a hobby that is suppose to make you happy...

That is very interesting.

Thanks.

Thanks for the input guys, some really good ideas going on, but the point is now moot, since i have traded the merc, so now i have some new inspiration.

Yea, thanks guys. I just got back from my shop, I went down there and kinda stared at the '61 for a coupla hours. Came up with a few ideas. I've got a 301 Pontiac Turbo motor out of an '80 Trans Am, and I'm thinking of using the turbo setup on a 292. The way the exhaust manifolds are designed on a Y-block should work perfect. That way I can keep the Three-on-the-tree, which I always thought was the coolest way to shift ever. By the way, it's a '61 F100 unibody shortbed, and I've cut the top off and made it a convertible. Gonna break down and buy a digital camera this week, so I'll have pics soon. Bonehead, you run a Y, don't you? Any advice? Once again, thanks for your input, everyone.- Mark:D

Latest posts

Back