Brake/clutch combo identification

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

international rat

Can anyone tell me what this came off of or if it's a aftermarket unit? Looks like a factory one to me but??

Attachments

• clutchbrake.JPG
    clutchbrake.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 47
It's a 60-62 Chevy pickup master cylinder. One part works the brakes and the other is for the hydraulic clutch. Funny part is, the ports are reversed from what you would think........the one closest to the engine is ported for the clutch and the one on the outside of the car is for the brakes. Why Chevy did that I don't know.

I am using one in my 27, have had it in there for about 20 years. Works great, but mine is sitting backwards under the floor so the clutch and brake pedals enter the master cylinder the right way. I think there is a way to redo it so the ports are in the right spots, and I think I saw it in some magazine recently, but I forget where.

NAPA still carries them, I am going to order a new one in the next week or so to replace the old one on my 27. The NAPA part number is UP 34404. The matching slave cylinder for the clutch is NNC-36124. The MC goes for about $80 and the slave is about $ 50. International pickups from that same era use one just like it, and I think the ports are in the right places, but I don't know any part numbers for those.

Here is how I hooked up mine, notice it under the floor?

Don

my27topview-3.jpg

And no, the frame is not going to be purple this time around.:eek:

27uponall4007.jpg

The NAPA part number is UP 34404. The matching slave cylinder for the clutch is NNC-36124. The MC goes for about $80 and the slave is about $ 50
I thought the brake and clutch was a one piece master cylinder?

It is. The Master Cylinder has a section that is for the brakes and a section that is for the clutch.....two separate plungers that share a common fluid reservoir. The second part number I listed is for the SLAVE CYLINDER that bolts to the transmission and when you step on the pedal it extends and pushes the arm on the bellhousing.

Sorry I was unclear about that.

Oh, there is a downside to this master cylinder. It is a single master cylinder not a double master cylinder like modern cars all have. What that means is that if you spring a leak or lose brakes in either the front or rear of the car you lose ALL the brakes. Modern master cylinders are split....the front is separate from the back, so if you lose one end you still have the other to get the car stopped. That is why I am putting a brand new one on while I am rebuilding the car. I don't want to take a chance on the old one being worn out and failing on me. But all cars up until about 1966 I think were of the single design. The automakers then started putting the dual setup on all cars made for safety reasons.

I am freshening up the entire brake system with new wheel cylinders, hoses, and even new stainless lines. I want to minimize any chance of anything going wrong.

Don

I put one in the '35 International I sold last spring. If you firewall mount the unit, you can pull the guts out of both cylinders and swap them. Then they will be correct for the clutch and brake. There is a difference in the check valve in the cylinders. Make sure you get all the parts out of each cylinder. I swapped them and it worked fine. In the Chevy truck, one pedal shaft actually runs inside the other pedal shaft necessitating the strange reversed setup. In a magazine article I saw a few years ago, it showed the identical dual master cylinder for an International but the internals were already swapped side to side. You can see if NAPA has that one.

donsrods...
I guess I sould've cought that when you said "slave cylinder" Thanks for the info

bob w...
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to put it on the firewall.

Yeah, what Bob is saying about swapping all the internals side to side rings a bell on what the article said. I've never tried to find the International version so I don't know if NAPA carries it or not and if the bolt pattern is identical. Not that the bolt pattern would matter if you were building a setup from scratch.

Don

Latest posts

Back