Build or buy a near complete project?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djlackore

Hey guys i am new and hoping to start getting something going by the end of may. I dont know if i want to build from the ground up for buy someone elses project.

What would you guys suggest. I can't weld but i can do pretty much anything else. [P

42Chevy is right, much better to buy someone else's done or almost done car than to build one from scratch the first time around. One reason is, no one ever gets out of a car all that they have in it so you as the buyer could never duplicate the car for the price you will get it at.

Another reason is that to build a car from the ground up takes not only an investment in the parts for that car, but also for the equipment to build it. We have probably 3X the money in tools and equipment that we have in our cars, and we could still use other equipment to make the job easier and better. When you build a car no one keeps track of all the trips they make to the parts store or Home Depot for sanding discs, nuts, bolts, wire, pop rivets, rags, etc, etc, etc. Everytime we go out for a few little parts we spend $ 25-$100 and the bag is very small. :eek:

The final reason is frustration. Building a car from the ground up takes time, LOTS OF TIME. Even we guys who have done this before get burned out in the middle and get sick of spending money on something we can't drive yet. So many projects come up because the guy just throws in the towel or the little lady starts raising h*** because of all the mess it is causing and money that is being spent.

Far better to save your money and buy one that is done properly and almost done.

Don

I'd suggest at least a roller (rolling chassis). Something that the frame, suspension, steering and brake fabrication is already done on - be it a custom frame or a stock frame that needs some new parts. That takes care of all the really critical welding. After that, make friends with someone that does weld for any other important welding - engine mounts, body mounts, etc. For body panels and the like, buy a welder and learn.

I don't know about TX, but I personally would add $500 to the price of a vehicle without a title, because that's what it would cost me in money and headaches.

And if there has been welding done on it, take a good welder/fabricator with you to check it out. Someone that knows what to look for.

Just my $.02

I'd have to agree with buying a roller. I bought a frame and suspension parts with the intentions of being a hardcore builder. About three months into it, I had a frame and suspension parts that were ready to go on a car. It wasn't much later when I sold it all for a massive loss and got a roller. It's not road ready, but at least I can sit in it and dream.

This question shouldn't be answered by that is cooler, it should be answered based on what you have to work with.....

Here are a few different examples of how this could get answered:

If you have the money and you are in a hurry so you can participate in the show season then get something that is done or nearly there and build something later.

If you have some know how and the will to build, but you just don't have the space or tools, then you may also want to consider buying something that is done.

If you are short on cash, but you have a great shop full of the right tools and you know what you are doing, you better build your own..... lol

I fall kind of in the second example. I can get in there and get my hands dirty and probably build something, learning as I go. My problem is I don't have the space, or the tools. I am looking to buy a truck that needs some work, but fortunately that truck also comes with shop space and tools to use. I was fortunate to find it and SUPER lucky to have an owner that is willing to share his shop.

Being from TX and having gone through this, you should definitely try to find one with a title. In order to get a title made for you - a "bonded title" - the bonding agent has to post bond for the entire value of whatever car as if it was fully restored. So your $6k Model A rat rod is worth $16k according to the great geniuses in Austin, so you are paying 10% bond fee for the title.

$1600 for a Model A. :mad:

Being from TX and having gone through this, you should definitely try to find one with a title. In order to get a title made for you - a "bonded title" - the bonding agent has to post bond for the entire value of whatever car as if it was fully restored. So your $6k Model A rat rod is worth $16k according to the great geniuses in Austin, so you are paying 10% bond fee for the title.

$1600 for a Model A. :mad:

yep. Texas DMV said my 54' Chevy pickup (BTW, its a rustbucket) was worth $28,000 and wanted me to get a 'bonded' title. I told them they were retarded and i found the original title real quick.

if you have any original title for any chevy before '55, they are usually titled on the engine number (they had seperate engine and body numbers back then, no VINs). there is a provision in Texas law that says you can update your title to match the new engine if you had to replace the original 'for mechanical reasons'. all it requires is a one page form with a 'pencil tracing' of the new engine number/VIN and a bill of sale for new engine.

so... title it as is, then update engine as you see fit- if you are in Texas.

my 2 cents, but it's worth about that much. good luck.

Don makes some excellent points and I agree with buying someone elses unfinished project after it is checked thoroughly for safety and correctness. I have seen many projects abandoned after someone realizes they are in over their head or they simply lose interest. ....cr

There are a lot of unfinished projects out there that can be got for a bargain. The important thing as mentioned before is it safe. No matter how cool it may look if it isn't safe it isn't worth the headache or yours or the life of someone else.

Hey guys i am new and hoping to start getting something going ..... [P

I'm in search mode myself. I also don't weld but can handle most of the wrench & wire snip type jobs. There's solid advise here.

I think it's a good idea to have a visson in mind of what you want. Be honest with your self about not only what you can do but, what fits your budget. It's easy to get Obsessive–compulsive with hobbies. :rolleyes:

My check list is weld integrity, engine/trans, suspension/brake. Next I concider location/shipping. Good research is you best tool. Use a pencil & paper, write down honest estimates of what it's going to cost in parts & your time to get what you want.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Depends on what your vision is. 10k can be a lot or it can be just the start. I have 7k into my motor alone, including, carbs, manifold, radiator, plugs, wires, machining, internals, etc.

#1 rule, the price is set by what you think the item is worth, not by what is being asked.

You have to decide if that rusted out hoopty is worth 10k to you. It might not be to anyone else, but you are not anyone else.

I know where a couple of nice rides are, two that run, one that doesn't.

1950 Chevy coupe, non-running but complete, $3500
1953 Chevy 210, runs and is complete, $2900
1947 Chevy 5 window truck runs but needs to be redone, $1500 or so.

I plan to buy them all but won't pay quite that much so I haven't purchased any of them yet. I would give $2k for the coupe, $1800 for the 210 and $1000 for the 5 window.

This is what they are worth to me, the owners think differently. I am waiting them out until my current builds are complete sometime this year.

If you have the money and can find one you like, I'd say buy a car that's already built.
For me building it is pretty much my only option. I couldn't afford a built car and am way too picky about what I like or want to ever settle for some one else's car or quality of workmanship.
I'd beware of half done cars. If it didn't get finnished, there's a good chance it was due to an amateur builder who bit off more than he could chew and burned out on it.

Rev. - Thanks, I thought is was good for an example. I don't know the owner, just one a a dozen or so I've book marked. I know I'll want to make changes when I find a roadster.

One of my problems is the one's I like are either in Texas, Utah, Cali, Az all places that will add $1000 to shipping & if I want to see it 1st another $700 to go out & look. I did see one in Wisc. that might be a fit.

A lot of the fun is the Hunt :D

Latest posts

Back