bungs or no bungs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyrush2

i'm starting on my rear suspension radius rods is it best to weld bungs to the frame to connect them or just run a bolt through the frame?

Bungs. But if you dont use bungs, at least sleeve the frame where the bolt travels through it. Or use brackets in double shear depending upon what type of ends you are using on the radius rods and where they attach to the frame.

Last edited:
Bung it!

Bung or something of the sort!
I machined out some of my own bung/spacers from solid shaft and put a 7deg. taper in them for the tie rod end to fit into.Looks like the tie rod is just bolted to the frame but on the inside of the frame it is resessed so that the nut and cotter pin is hidden. I can take some pics if you want.

pics would be cool.. just tryin to get an idea

Here is how we did the ones on my T. We also put the oval plate around the bungs to spread the stress so it wasn't centered on just the bung. We welded it inside and out before welding it to the frame.

Don

Attachments

• t wishbone mounts.jpg
    t wishbone mounts.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 35
  • t wishbone mounts 3.jpg
    t wishbone mounts 3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 34
  • t rear radius rods painted.jpg
    t rear radius rods painted.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 40
Bung pics!

Bung or something of the sort!
I machined out some of my own bung/spacers from solid shaft and put a 7deg. taper in them for the tie rod end to fit into.Looks like the tie rod is just bolted to the frame but on the inside of the frame it is resessed so that the nut and cotter pin is hidden. I can take some pics if you want.
If you are still interested?
Here are a couple of pics of the pieces I machined to weld in the frame.They are each made from two pieces,one heavy wall tube and a solid piece machines out to a 7 deg. tapered hole.
I welded into the frame and ground outside smooth .Has "rusted up" since then!(with a little help)
Tim

Attachments

• wish bone tierod inside.jpg
    wish bone tierod inside.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 13
  • wishbone pass.jpg
    wishbone pass.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back