cams gentlemen

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bucket

I am building a 350 sbc for my 55 pontiac
I am starting with a 71 block with dished pistons
I am using camel bump 64cc heads
looking for suggestions as to what type of cam to put in it
I want to use the stock tranny turbo 350 and don't want to use a high stall torque converter but still I want to get all the oommph out of it that I can
this car will be a daily driver maybe light em up on saturday nite type of ride
thanks

im running basically the same set-up with a comp 280 magnum ...comp says you need a stall converter with it but my th 350 is using the stock one

the sound is nice and the power ain't bad either

I always try to stick with a roller if possible!!!

BoB

A buddy of mine in the Philippines has recently built the same engine three times, and on start up/run in he has wiped a cam lobe each time. This is with a fairly respectable cam size, but he was using what turned out to be junk Chinese cam followers! :(

The oil content nowadays is so marginal that any excuse for failure and you'll be junking cams and such. He finally found some oil additive and used proper cam followers and is doing okay now.

I plan to fit a mild hydraulic roller cam to mine, and may look at one of the Comp Cams 'Thumpr' cams, to get a bit of rock and roll at idle. [dr

Roller cams are great but pricey...

if you include all the parts you need to retro fit an older block.... I've always used comp cams flat tappets their assembly lube and added ZDDP to the break in oil and at every change....never have had a problem with cams wiping out.... Comp now makes oil with the higher Zinc contents for older motors or flat tappet cams...but priced a bit high in my opinion...
Comp cams has a great site and tech line to dial in a cam based on vehicle weight, gearing and other factors to get you what you need without guessing.... (I know I sound like a Comp Cams employee but I'm not, just had great luck dealing with them and good products).... I used to get the old 350/350 hydralic cams or the 350/365 solid lifter cams if I was running a stick and not an automatic.....Comp also makes a number of Muscle car cams in flat tappet design as well as their other lines...as I said, rollers are simply the latest greatest and don't need the high zinc content so the extra money you spend may be well worth it.... old habits die hard with old guys...LOL....Good luck with the build..:D

The reason I like rollers is because I may... err... *may* have twisted the bullet a lil tight a time or two & wiped 3 flat tappet cams in 2 years. Switched to rollers & have never lost one since. In the long run... the rollers have actually been cheaper. I prefer old line companies as well... don't care for Lunati!

BoB

Can't miss those shifts Tripper....

The reason I like rollers is because I may... err... *may* have twisted my motor a lil tight a time or two & wiped 3 flat tappet cams in 2 years. Switched to rollers & have never lost one since. In the long run... the rollers have actually been cheaper. I typically prefer old line companies as well.

BoB

Gotta grab them gears:eek:.... keep it under the red line......LOL

Anybody here remember General Kenetics Cams??

GM used them in the mid and late seventies to make cam's for them.... that's when GM had all the cam problems from improperly heated camshafts in their 305's and 350's.... a few lobes would flatten right out within a few thousand miles..... Just curious if any Remebers them?

Being more of a Ford person, I can't help you decide on a cam. But, if you use a flat tappet cam, I can help. There's an outfit in Colorado that will break in your cam and lifters for you for $60. I've used them a couple of times and I think it's great not having to worry about running the motor over 3000rpm or whatever the cam maker suggests, for the first thirty minutes. Fire it up and go. Here's the link:

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/cam_king.php

Good luck with the 55.

That's not such a bad idea, if it really works.

Stripping and cleaning a whole motor because one lobe let go is a real chore: metal grindings in every orifice, new oil, new cam, new followers, maybe new cam/crank bearings etc.

a smaller cam with a tight lobe seperation will work just fine. something around 220 @.050 dur. and about .460" lift. 108 centerline...it will sound great, give a real nice tq. band and still pull decent vacuum....larger is not always better. especially without a conv. gear combination. check out some of the beast cams, thumpr cams ect...

I used this Xtreme Energy™, XE268H
Great for Street Machines, Better w/ 2000+ Stall
in my wife's 56 Chevy stock torque converter and really like it [cl
If I were to do it again I'd use the same one, great off the line, pulls all the way to 6,500 with almost the same setup you've got except with flat top pistons. jmho :)
I had a 350 turbo to start with and went to a 700r-4 and it's even better with the lower low 1sr gear [ddev

Jim

Latest posts

Back