Can someone explain the installation of a wiper motor to me?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashori

I'm assuming it's very basic but nevertheless I can't quite grasp it....
How does this install in a car?
I have lexan in my ride, can I still use it?

91123501_L.jpg

lexan won't last if you use a wiper. why not use glass?

Normally these mount at the top of the windshield frame, notice the drive shaft is off center, this would go towards the top of the frame.

Last edited:
Not sure how it would work through lexan or how the blades would do on it either, but the usual way these are installed is you insert that threaded part through a hole in either the roof section above the windshield, or in the cowl area below the windshield.

You will notice that the threaded part of the shaft is long, so what you do is you run one nut down all the way then put a washer and then a rubber washer on. Then you slide the whole assembly through the hole in the car, put on another rubber washer, a regular washer, and finally the second nut.

By adjusting the two nuts in or out you can move the motor closer or further away from the body, and when you get it where it needs to be you drill a hole where that outer hole is on the body of the motor and put a screw into the car. This acts to keep the motor from twisting as it runs. The final thing to do is hook up the wiring and put the arm and blade on in the correct position so the sweep will clear the area you want it to clean.

I think the blade could possibly scratch Lexan, and really, Lexan is not a suitable material for a windshield. I know some people use it, but approved safety glass is really the only legal, safe way to make a windshield.

Don

I wouldn't use lexan as a windshield either. It can flex and come out at speed and injure you or the passenger.
I've used lexan for a long time in my race cars as a windshield however, they are riveted in every couple inches and are not meant to last but one season or one race :eek:
If that's what you have, like klink said, don't use the wipers on it.

Years ago on a trip to New Orleans, the car in front of me threw up a large piece of 18 wheeler tire tread & hit the wife's side of the windshield. Was very glad it was lam safety glass! You never know what will happen out on the road! :eek:

Beercan

thanks, makes sense now.
Sounds pretty unanimous, gonna get rid of the lexan. It shouldn't be too hard, I have the frame so I just need to cut out a template for the glass I need. The center is bent, can they put a bend into the glass?

20120928_171838.jpg

20120928_171850.jpg

20121226_082030.jpg

Also, the rear looks like this, no frame, just the lip around the window, how would I go about installing glass into this space?

20121226_082037.jpg

The glass can be "V" butt together.The back can be put in rubber like for a schoolbus or big truck glass, most glass shops will stock this.The wiper sould fit in the old wiper hole.I cut my shaft to fit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012-02-27 09.29.33.jpg
    2012-02-27 09.29.33.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 70
  • glass.JPEG
    glass.JPEG
    51.1 KB · Views: 69
on my 47 truck I only used the one main hole. their is a rubber plug that goes in the hole to the right and the pressure from the main shaft is enough to hold the wiper motor from turning. had this on my 47 for years without any trouble. good luck Doug

Hey Mo, it never rains in California, so why do you need a wiper? [ddd

Any glass shop that does custom glass should be able to V butt that windsheild glass for you.

Did you get the bounce out of it yet?

Hey Mo, it never rains in California, so why do you need a wiper? [ddd

Any glass shop that does custom glass should be able to V butt that windsheild glass for you.

Did you get the bounce out of it yet?

I'll start calling around...
man it's been pouring here :)
I haven't touched the suspension, on the local roads it isn't too bad but before braving the freeway I will do some adjustments....

Latest posts

Back