Cant believe I liked paint.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

I cant believe at one time I used to wash n wax n buff and sweep n sweat and worry about my car everytime I wanted to drive it somewere, when all this time I coulda avoided that and just built a Rat Rod.:D

My buddy would spend hours getting his car ready and he was into it, but I always hated it. I cant wait to drive the heck outta mine and never as much as spray it off. Just had to share that. Who else hates polishing there cars? RR

when people look at my 52, naturally they ask "what color are ya gonna paint it?"
to which i simply reply, "i'm not.." they ask "why?-or why not?"
i usually tell them that after working on cars/bodywork and paint-shop work since 1992 i'm sick of all of it--esp. when every "know-it-all-who-has-never-picked-up-a-paintgun" points out a flaw or speck (like they wouldn't have let such a thing happen, b/c they are such experts) just to try to make me mad-

.....so i guess my rusted&crusted 52 will be a statement of rebellion to the shiney........and i'm certainly ok with that:p

when people look at my 52, naturally they ask "what color are ya gonna paint it?"
to which i simply reply, "i'm not.." they ask "why?-or why not?"
i usually tell them that after working on cars/bodywork and paint-shop work since 1992 i'm sick of all of it--esp. when every "know-it-all-who-has-never-picked-up-a-paintgun" points out a flaw or speck (like they wouldn't have let such a thing happen, b/c they are such experts) just to try to make me mad-

.....so i guess my rusted&crusted 52 will be a statement of rebellion to the shiney........and i'm certainly ok with that:p

Wow! I thought the pick aparts only got on my case when my car used to be a color!:D...I primed my 65 GTO back in 1971 and the P*** out of it. I must have had a Ratrod and didn't know it.[S...CR:D

Since the early 90's I've rebelled against shiney paint....At least with my cars. I still like paint, and I'm planning on using it on the 56......eventually (maybe)

1939 Plymouth what was there of the original factory laquer and Mar-Hyde satin black rattle can

ply4copy.jpg

1959 Chevy pick up Satin Black...again. Sorry there is a little shiney with the white, but it never got washed (except for the rain)

apache6.jpg

1960 Lark....$1.97 a can Wal Mart rattle can (flat black)

Picture006.jpg

Even my Studebaker is rattle canned satin black (but I stepped up on this one and spent almost $4 a can for Krylon)

P8317318.jpg

paint

Paint an bondo has its place..........I guess?? painted my rat cause I added new tin on the cab, hated that look. I went to the implement dealer an bought 2 gals. of John Deere Blitz Black, Its a semi gloss. however the other mornin I noticed my rear fender quite shinny, was upset by the gloss til I noticed my big dog had just visited. couple hours in the sun the gloss came out!!

With paint comes scratches , I've noticed my stress level comes down and the smiles get bigger driving a rusty car , one LESS thing to worry about . LIFE IS GOOD !

I like them shiny for the most part, but I'm horrible when it comes to upkeep. I still have a zillion bugs and lots of dirt on the front of my T from Turkey Run and that was three weeks ago.:eek: I almost never get under to clean off the undercarriage, and my Sons girlfriend told him one time "Boy, your Dad sure doesn't take very good care of his hot rod, does he?"

The bad part is that when I am getting ready for a show it takes about 6-8 hours of washing, waxing, and detailing to get it presentable, and I am just basically lazy.

Don

I've always liked primer. My first car in high school was black primer. Then i got caught up in the shiny stuff. Then i went back to primer. After driving my '71 Cheyenne in primer for 7 years, then buying a new shiny truck for a daily driver, i miss just hosing it off and occasionally waxing the rims. My '56 Chevy will be gray primer (flat gray) and my T-Bucket will eventually be flat black.

My 56 Chev had paint, but I was 16 and didn't know how to make it shine. I loved it and took it to a big car show. I was laughed at by everyone but.....I am the one laughing now[ddd

My 95 F250 4X4 gets washed once a year in the spring after duck season ends. I clean out the vinyl floor boards at the same time.

I keep the garbage out but just don't have time to be sweeping, vaccuming, polishing, etc. I would rather be hunting or working on one of my projects!

I feel no shame when my neighbor is out waxing his infinity and I am grinding, welding, and drinking beer on a Saturday.

It ain't about paint...it's just about the rust!

:( The hassle, the washing, the scratches, dents and dings. The waxing, the polishing.... and the worry over the thing. Paint is for show cars, exotics, race cars, and such. Aside from all that... paint costs too much. Protection of perfection for some it's a must. NO THANKS guys, I'll take mine with rust! [cl

Thunder

Man, I love it ALL. We make the best with what we have. I wish I was there when Goose-em took his 56 to the show and those posers laughed, it takes a lot to get me angry but they would have been pulling my boots out of some *sses that day! If you like something give some props-if you don't, there's no need to bust someone's chops about it. First of all we don't all have the same financial situation. We all know how much shiney paint costs even if you do it yourself.

Latest posts

Back