cantilever suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a bug that had a dropped I beam (speedway) that snapped in half after about 100 miles and the owner built his own suspension.
Tim

1st photo, I don't see any I-beam and no cantilever
2nd photo, I see I-beam and cantilevered coil overs?

Do you have more detail as to how or why the axle broke? That's some serious force to snap an I-beam! And on a bug? He must have done something seriously wrong!

1st photo, I don't see any I-beam and no cantilever
2nd photo, I see I-beam and cantilevered coil overs?

Do you have more detail as to how or why the axle broke? That's some serious force to snap an I-beam! And on a bug? He must have done something seriously wrong!

I agree with rainman. Must be that chrome stuff. That stuff makes plastic look like metal........... Betting the I-Beam was chrome plastic.... :D

Almost appears like the spring mount is still attached to the spring, wonder if the axle broke through the shackle mount hole? Or maybe the bolt came out after unloading the front suspension and caused the disaster?

attachment.php

Lonniesbug022.jpg

the whole thread on Volksrods:

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30628&highlight=speedway+death+failure

Last edited:
Quoting the owners post:
"Gentlemen, my name is Lonnie Gilbertson, I built and own the Fire Bug. I appreciate and am humbled by the concerns expressed here. I am 65 years old and have been building cars all my life. (check me out at Lonnie's Place.com). I want to share the truth in hopes that I can prevent someone else bearing the grief that befell me. I took crap from my V8 buddies when I started to build my bug, however, I remembered the 1835 in my Dune Buggy I did in the 70's and knew the potential. Being an old Hot Rodder the early Ford straight axle kit by Speedway appealed to me, so I bought a 1975 standard Bug and was on my way. I will be happy to share the build with anyone that needs information. But for now I will skip to taking my 2332 cc 091 bus transaxxle Hot Rod Fire Bug to the Portland Roadster Show. At shows end to the amazement of several people I drove it home. I left the show floor all smiles by the time I got home I was all frowns. The car was un-drivable. To keep the car between the curbs was a major undertaking. In analyzing the problem, I discovered that sitting on the ground I had a normal 1/8" toe in, I could jack the car up at the perch bolts and it wold change to 1/2" toe out. At this point you might think bump steer, however, lifting at the perch bolds induces no suspension movement. The problem was axle flex. I could measure from the frame to the center of the king pin, jack it up to take the weifht off the tire and the king pin would move out 1/8" plus. This on a car that weighs little on the front compared to the V8 this setup should carry. With my experience it did not take long to figure out the steering set-up Speedway said to use would not work. I bought a cross steer rack and pinion and set it up in a traditional Hot Rod style. In an unconventional way I built my own steering arms and hooked everything at the top of the spindle. Thinking I might have created my own problem I bought Speedway dropped steering arms and moved the tie rod to the bottom of the spindle, like it would be stock. The net result was 1/4" tow change instead of 5/8" with the tie rod on top. I called Speedway and was told that I bought an early kit and all their early kits were junk, they have done a re-desigh to correct problems. I told them I had corrected the problems, however, I had trouble with axle flex, they told me to call the Manufacturer, it wasn't their problem. A call to the Manufacturer put me in touch with the owner he was very interested in helping me fix my problem. He suggested different alignment settings. Changing to his suggested settings the car semed to settle down. On Friday evening I test drove the car and had a friend do the same, although it was not perfect it seemed safe. Five O'clock Saturday morning I left my house by 5:10 am the Fire Bug was destroyed. A friend that was following said that it looked like the car dropped on the right front and left the road. From the drivers seat the Bug took a hard right, in trying to steer left nothing happened, I impacted a mail box, an oak tree, and a telephone pole. With cross steering the right front is the master and left the slave. If the right becomes disconnected you have no control of the left. It happened so fast I can't tell the order of events the only facts I know are:(1) it is a 5" drop cast iron axle,(2) The king pin boss on the right front is broken in half. (3) The axle is broken in half 2" inboard of the perch bolt. (4) The heavy damage to the right front wheel is on the inside as if it was turned hard right on impact. (5) I could not bring the car left once it took off right. (6) A friend that was following said it looked like the car dropped to the right before it left the road. I will never! Never! Ever run a cast axle again. On a personal note admit-tingly I am a Sunny Day Driver, however, I do not own Trailer Queens. I hope this helps someone. Thanks for letting me express myself. This is the first time I have ever posted anything to any site. I hope this will get read and not lost. Thank You,"

Thanks for sharing this story!! The combination of, cast, plus drop, plus cross sterring seems to have overstressed that axle!! It still shouldn't have broken like that. Must have been a bad cast, cold joint or something!!

Scary story !! I never thought anyone manufactured axles from cast iron, that's totally irresponsible, cast iron just isn't up to the task for such a critical component subjected to the stresses an axle sees. I thought OEM axles were all made from cast or forged STEEL. Traditional early Ford axles sure are, otherwise you could never heat them up to drop them as they used to do (still do too).
Makes you wonder how many more junk ones like that are out there....:eek:

I would have thought the axle flex would have tipped him off that something just aint right.
That bug is probably light enough that you or I could pick it up, not enough weight to stress a good axle to that point.

imho, that had to be a bad axle to begin with...

That's what I thought when I first read it. But when your in the moment, you just don't want to believe that something so bizarre is happening.

Doing a little more homework, found these.

kill2.jpg

I am wondering how hard it would be to fab one of these...or which company might make this cant. set-up...because that would be a great way to hide the entire set-up and have a clean appearance to a ride.

Looks to be a CenPen setup.
http://www.cenpen.com/traditionalair.htm

It would be easy to fab that up, and you could utilize it for a radiator support too to hide the big blah that is the top of the crossmember.

Latest posts

Back