carb falling apart with this modern gas... any help ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Carb suggestions...

got a 1938 Nash in original condition... I'm trying to keep it "looking" original, but am not afraid to modify internals, if it still "looks" original

for example, I was getting sick of the dripping packings & greasing the original water pump... so I had my machinist buddy mill out the insides to accept modern sealed bearings & water seal, now, no more drips, & still looks original...

I've had the top of my carb off twice so far this spring, with a sticking float valve needle... noticing that the stupid ethanol the state of MN make them put in the gas, is eating up the inside of my carb... BTW... I run a can of Sea Foam every other tank full, & try to keep the tank at least 1/2 full, not that I expect the Sea Foam to protect my carb...

is there a single barrel out there, that I could modify, & cover up with my original oil bath filter, that would make my motor run good, & not disintegrate in a couple years running the mandated oxygenated fuel ???

No help ???

here's a pic of the rebuilt old stock carb I put on it 2 years ago...

attachment.php

Call All American Carburetor here in Florida. They remanufacture a lot of carbs and did the 66 Olds tripower carbs on my Son's rpu. They probably have either parts or can modify your carb to handle ethanol.

Don

Thanks for the suggestions guys... this car is a cruiser, so I doubt I could afford air plane fuel as much as I like to drive it, besides, they didn't have premium in 1938, so the extra octane would be wasted on my like 7 to 1 compression "tractor motor"... I did find one local gas station that has a collector car / off road use only pump, that has straight un-oxygenated gas, but at $0.80 over normal pump cost, that is also not a very practical option... I've never had issues during the summer, when I run the car regularly... perhaps until I can find a permanent fix, I should drain the carb in the fall, when I store it, clean everything out good, & spray lube the leather accelerator pump parts, needle valves & other internals, to keep them from getting the "white fuzzies" over the winter ???

Hmmm.... that's an option... do you think the fuel lubes would "really" do anything that the Sea Foam I'm already adding to my fuel to lube the top end, wouldn't do ???

mmmm...cherry & grape smelling exhaust [S

Hmmm.... that's an option... do you think the fuel lubes would "really" do anything that the Sea Foam I'm already adding to my fuel to lube the top end, wouldn't do ???

mmmm...cherry & grape smelling exhaust [S

Does the sea foam actually have an oil in it. I thought it was just for cleaning gummed up fuel systems.

I have never used sea foam so I don't know.

Seafoam is snake oil as far as I'm concerned, never seen it do anything good to anything.

Stabil will help, it keeps the gas from leaving a varnish in the carb, it's recommended by most small engine manufacturers.

Have you thought about running some two cycle oil with your gas? The mixture might help keep those leathers soft. Probably wouldn't take much, 8oz to a tank of gas. wouldn't want so much it looked like a chainsaw from behind!

Stabil now have product

specifically made for ethanol issues!!! Use it....should help....I have been using it in all my mowers, weed wackers and small engine stuff....keeps the seals and rubbers from breaking down....learned the hard way on all of that....dried them up and they leaked fuel from everywhere....other than that......not sure seafoam does anything about the ethanol issue other than add to it....don't think it's much more than fancy gumout....

Are all the stations strictly ethanol up there now? In Va we can still find fuel without ethanol. We still even have a few stations that carry Cam2.

I'd shop around and see if I could find a station that sells gas without ethanol.

They can put 10% ethanol in fuels....some do....

some don't ..... you have to look on the pump to see.....has to be posted on the pump "may contain up to 10% ethanol"...like I said, some have it, some don't....

That Ethanol is pure crap as far as I'm concerned. Thats just a cheap way to water the fuel down so they can milk us for some more money. The Ethanol makes your gas 'dry', so the rubber is attacked. We didn't have but 14 gibullion carbs mess up the first go around back in the late 70s/early 80s from that crap.
It has not got any better. Alky is alky....it takes more fuel input into your motor to get the same BTU's. That why the Alky cars at the strip run such big jets! [cl

Even in Iowa - the corn state, you can get non-ethanol gas at many stations. 10% Ethanol is cheaper, but it drops your MPG enough that it isn't worth it. I never use it for any small engines or my old stuff. It goes bad faster and causes all sorts of issues with gaskets.

Good for the farm industry for sure.

Latest posts

Back