Catalytic Converter Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gacannon

Ga. has a an EPA requirement that on engine swaps after 1998, must meet certain EPA requirements based on the original manufactures set up on that engine. Hot rods fall into this category.

I have a build up rod, from scratch. I have a 302 which is out of a 76 mustang. I am running sprint out of frame headers.

Reading the Ga. EPA regs, it says I must have dual converters which would mess up everything along with the emission controls for that year engine.

Did the early 302's run converters?

I could just give them a serial number for an earlier model but if the engine year that I register with is one which required converters, I would have to install them.

Anyone up to date in this area. I know several hot roder's that have engine swaps that don't meet these regulations.

What is the way around it?

I have a 1928 ford PU sitting on a Model A frame with a 302 / C4 transmission setup.

What problems am I going to have getting this thing registered. Live in Ga.

Any comments appreciated.

Bob in Ga.

Any car after '72 and pickup after '78 had converters.

Get 2 old converters and knock the guts out of them and install.

We don't have regulations around here but my converter on my daily driver is just a shell because they had to put one on

" on swaps after 1998". Does that mean on vehicles that are newer than 98 or any swap done to any vehicle after 98?? (it's been sitting in the garage since 97, officer) I would title it as an Antique with the 28 and leave it at that. I'm titling my 61 429Ford VW KarmannGhia as a Ghia and get antique plates. Here in Texas, no inspection required for a vehicle with antique plates. Of course, it's not allowed to be driven all over the place except to and from car shows and such. But, you gotta get caught first. Good luck.

if you have it titled as:
I have a ---1928--- ford PU sitting on a Model A frame with a 302 / C4 transmission setup.
Then you don't have to run cats.....[P[;):cool:

Latest posts

Back