Charity build questions...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I wanted to finish my brother in laws Locost 7 build that we started about a year and a half ago. I have already built the frame. He got side lined time, job and money wise when his 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer. He and all of the family have put forth a ton of time, cash and support and she is now is in complete remission. BUT, the company he worked for has gone out of business and because he is the primary care giver for his daughter he cannot get any support from the state. They live on his wifes salery only right now while he is looking for work that will alow him to take time off to bring his daughter in for treatment.

My question is this: how would I set up a non-profit type of company/account that would allow people to donate and get a tax deduction?

And 2: Is it even worth it in this economy? Maybe I should just continue to plug away at it as I get extra cash. I am already donating an extra LS1 motor I have and have a rear end, spindles, steering rack, and bushings for 1/2 the suspension that I am throwing in. Mostly I would need coil overs, hiem joints, street rod wiring harness, some 1 1/4" DOM tubing and a transmission.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!

There should be some way to get help from the State or Feds. I see all the time on some show like Judge Judy where some minority person says they are the care giver for a sick mother or whatever, and they get paid money for doing that. Has he checked with all the agencies, like Social Security, etc? It seems minorities have ways of knowing about financial help that most of us don't know about. :confused:

Glad his daughter is doing well, and hope things improve for them.

Don

cancer car

l have been trying to do something like this for 2 years.

l lost mom, dad and several friends to cancer.

l want to put a street legal 1940 dirt modified together to help raise money for cancer research. l put out ads on CL and contacted several agencys and got very litte response.

l still would love to do this, l'd take the car to charieties and shows to raise funds, but it seems no one wants to help:(

good luck, l hope you have better luck than l have had doing this.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately for him he made ok money when his job was there, he is a 30 year old white man born in the USA, so no beanies to be had. State says he is pefectly able to work but chooses to care for his daughter instead so no money.

Skull. I saw your post over in the charity section. I guess the only difference is I just want to finish his car for him where you are looking to use yours for events to raise money. I was thinking if there was a way for people to get a tax break on donated parts it would help all around.

heim joints

for the heim joints talk to some race car guys and see if they have any. around here they up date the brake and suspension parts every 2 years and some places almost give the parts away.

any car clubs in the area? they may help or have ideas.

if l was closer l'd help:D

Later :cool:

Trere is alot of redtape and BS that goes along with a nonprofit. first is getting all the paper work from the feds and getting aproved as a nonprofit then it is all uphill from there. There are ways around the system but not for a honest hardworking man that has pride in his self worth. I hate to say it but I have family that has milked the system for years, down rigth wrong. I think that you can only get help when it's a hand out and not a hand up. And all this time paying into the system you would think that in hard times when you realy need help it should be there for you. NO it is going to pay for 10 childen of a deadbeat dad. sorry I get alittle carried away on this topic.

501c3 tax exemption is very hard to get (been involved with several charities that have done this) and usually only makes sense for large operations. for a small op like building one car, it's not worth the trouble.
but... if you are looking for parts/labor donations, any business (or sole proprietorship) can deduct those things fromt their income which in turn does save them taxes. as long as they are aware of this, they may be more willing to donate. just a thought. good luck.

Good ideas and thanks to all that have replied. I had thought of just doing a flyer with the pertinate info on it that I could bring with me to shops, bone yards, companies etc. I really don't need much in the way of parts as most of them are custom fabbed anyways. I just got my schedule for the new year and I am on my permanant night shift. this gives me a ton of day time free to do what I need to get this rolling. Looks like my turbo LS1 datsun and 35 rat rod PU will have to wait a little longer. [;)

Hey Skull, Thanks for the offer. And the reverse is true as well. I don't seem to find many rat rodders up here in NH yet.

OK....here is a perfect spot to rehash my idea...

Good ideas and thanks to all that have replied. I had thought of just doing a flyer with the pertinate info on it that I could bring with me to shops, bone yards, companies etc. I really don't need much in the way of parts as most of them are custom fabbed anyways. I just got my schedule for the new year and I am on my permanant night shift. this gives me a ton of day time free to do what I need to get this rolling. Looks like my turbo LS1 datsun and 35 rat rod PU will have to wait a little longer. [;)

Hey Skull, Thanks for the offer. And the reverse is true as well. I don't seem to find many rat rodders up here in NH yet.

If eveyone of us were to donate a buck....we could raise a fairly large amount of money for exactly this type of thing....the 501c3 thing is do-able but you would have to prove non profit status and that is the thing that binds those up...find a school booster program, church, or other organization that holds that status and see if they can help you....but, a buck from us would be an easy way to raise a fair amount of assistance.....seriously...

If eveyone of us were to donate a buck....we could raise a fairly large amount of money for exactly this type of thing....but, a buck from us would be an easy way to raise a fair amount of assistance.....seriously...

So basically we all just foat our collective money around to each of us as we build something. Kinda like the amish barn building. as soon as one is done the next goes up. I think it is a great idea but it would require 100% commitment 100% honesty from all involved......[S

You gave me a good idea. Maybe I could use the police association as a base. it is non-profit and the chairman is my nieghbor...

Latest posts

Back