check your fire extinguishers!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltbreaker

Your fire extinguishers up to date? Do you have one in the garage and the house?

I started a fire in the garage Monday and didnt even know it till it was going pretty good. The bigger extinguisher got it slowed down till I got the hose.

Check your safety stuff today.

Welding and cutting in your garage is just foolish if you don't have a extinguisher handy. I keep two in the garage and one in the house.
Hope you didn't suffer to much damage.

I know one of mine is empty, cause I used it up about a week ago. I probably could have put the fire out without it, but I have learned how quick things can change with a small fire.

Yep, mine are good. I always go back and check the garage an hour or so after I've been welding or grinding. Don't need anything smoldering, and it takes awhile for the nose to become sensitive to the smell of something hot.

When my dad's shop burnt down a couple years ago he had been in it just 15 to 20 mins earlier. He had not been doing any cutting or welding at the time. By the time he discovered it, it was already fully involved. He figured it took less than 10 minutes for it to go from something small to all out to late.

He had come out of the house just in time to hear the tires popping on our 66 Chevelle.

I posted this on another site and think it is important To post it here. If anyone has any other questions about fire extinguishers I will be happy to answer.

Being a retired Fire Fighter/Fire Inspector and a State Fire instructor I will put in my 2 cents

Not all fire extinguishers are the same. Somewhere on the Fire extinguisher you will find a rating. It is usually somewhere near the UL label. It is something like- 4A 10 B,C.

The A rating means that it will put out that many cubic feet of fire. (4A would but out 4 cubic feet of class A fire) B,C rating will put out that many square feet of fire. ( 10 B,C will put out 10 Square feet of fire) Now the rating only works if you know how to use a fire extinguisher.

A- ordinary combustibles, Wood, Paper, clothing, Etc.
B- flammable Liquids and gases
C- Energize electrical
D- Combustible Metals

Rule of thumb A- Ash, B- Boils, C- Conducts

ABC - are a good all around fire extinguisher. A lot of cleanup and is
corrosive

BC - Good for flammable liquids and Energize Electrical. A lot of clean up

PW or Pressureized Water- can not be used on liquids or electrical

CO2- Good all around Fire extinguisher, Be careful around electrical, Will
freeze your hand if you hold the cone and not the handle

Pull the pin first, stand a safe distance from the fire

When using a fire extinguisher you must aim at the base of the fire and sweep back and forth ( Not up and down)

make sure you have an escape route, keep yourself between the fire and the escape route.

Do not forget to call or have someone call 911

If the fire is too big get out and stay out.

Locate the fire extinguisher at each exit and near your work bench and welder. The extinguisher should be mounted between 4 feet and 8 inches from the floor. (* Never use the fire extinguisher as a coat rack) make sure it is in plain sight.

I have 8- 10lbs ABC in my garage. One at the exit door, both overhead doors, mounted on the welding cart, at the work bench and one in the center of both side walls and outside between the overhead doors

ABC Fire extinguisher check the gauge often. If the gauge is not in the green or its been used take it out of service. Every year turn the fire extinguisher upside down and hint it a couple time with a rubber mallet and shake it to make sure the powder is loose.

ABC & BC - Should have its powder change every 6 years and Hydro Tested every 12 years.

PW & CO-2 should be hydro tested every five years and Stainless steal ones every 6 years

ABC, BC & PW have gauges that can be checked to see if its full.

CO-2 Need to be weighed to see if its full. The Weight is stamped on the extinguisher.

Last edited by HOT40ROD; 12-23-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Good stuff we all need to be reminded of. I have found angle grinders to be many times more dangerous than the welding/cutting, they fling a shower of sparks clear across a room. Also I always allow at least a 5 minute cool down before I walk out of the shop. That way if something is smoldering you will see it.

Glad thing didn't turn out worse and you caught it in time.

As a project site safety supervisor for years and having extensive hot work training we were taught not to leave the area for 30 minutes after any activity where a open flame or sparks was generated. Check your fire extinguishers monthly and have them recharged yearly regardless. Always have it within reach of where you're working and not a bad idea to have a samll bucket of water handy just don't use on an electrical fire.

Be Safe!

Latest posts

Back