Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking great for an old dude who's falling apart!:D I head you about the arthritic thumb; my first two fingers on my right hand give me fits somedays. Years of turning wrenches and playing bass, I guess.

Cool find on the frame and cowl!

I found if I use the Sam Fear Method of laying the body on its side I can do the Bondo work with my cranky shoulder. Supposed to cool off here so I can make some serious progress.
Flipper, that is a terrific color. Been reading about mixing Rustoleum gloss paint and adding Rustoleum flat black to mute the color and kill the gloss somewhat. I'd like the paint to look like a color that was used in the 20's & 30's and also want it to look like it has been on the car that long. Not necessarily a "worn through" patina look. More like a car that's been stored for 50 years.
Picked up a 350TH trans for it a week ago.
I'm thinking of sandblasting the radiator shell and having it chrome (or nickle) plated even with it full of pits. Hoping it will look like it was plated decades ago. Anyone tried this?

I think what you are shooting for Bob is the look of the old Laquer paint jobs. They had a deep muted gloss to them kinda soft looking. Not like the hard shine of todays clear coat jobs.

I think your idea of plating the shell is great, but I vote for nickle it would look decades old after some weathering. I have not tried it myself but friends have and the look is much more like what would have been done back in the day

No couch cushions, Sam. Just a stack of corrugated cardboard. Got almost all the bodywork done on the body and sanded with 120 grit. Still have the doors to do and some blending on the firewall. My rotator cuff is barking tonight.
Glad you guys like the color approach. It will take some experimenting to get it right. jfg455, I agree, nickel plating should give the right sheen.

Late last night, when normal people are asleep, I snuck into the garage to mix some paint. Using International Harvester Red, I added satin black in increasing amounts to get these 5 samples. It is too glossy but the main issue is picking a color. The roof will be black as is the running gear. I can't decide...

I'll probably try the same thing using John Deer Green.

Yes Dr. C. I will do the REO logo using the brass brush transfer technique I learned about here on RRR.

Today, in the 92 degree heat, I slung Bondo and sanded. Got the firewall and one door done. Other door is 50% done. Primer inside and out coming soon.

top left here. the black against it will make it look darker than it is. [P

I was squirting primer around in the garage and some of it stuck to the Reo.:D

I'm leaning toward the two darker shades. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Lower left darker maroon color..

I like it!! funny how you spray stuff around and it seems to get everywhere...coming along nicely ... :D

Okay Sam, You made me do it. Went to Fleet Farm and got a quart of Valspar John Deere Green. Added satin black to produce this color panel.
I'm liking the darker maroon shades best.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh....

Darker Maroon???? I see Green to a very dark stuck in the forest almost black green....did I miss something??? [S

Latest posts

Back