Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getting closer...Been touching up the rough spots. It will still be pretty rough however. It is after all, a rat rod.
The doors have some inside-out pokes that are hard to reach. They're gonna stay.
Some decisions I'm wrestling with, paint the interior the same color as the exterior? Spray, roll or brush the exterior? Canvas or vinyl covering on the roof?
Stuck the engine block on the stand today. Has anyone found a good gasket remover material? The remains of the head gasket are proving very resistant to just scraping.
Dr C. I checked at the Fleet Farm store, no flattener. I've seen mention of it on the 'net.
Sorry about the flat Sarge. I hope you weren't in hot persuit at the time.

Here bob I'll add more food for thought, If your paint is heavy enough to hold brush marks, brush on a lighter color base coat then spray the darker top coat, hit it with a fine grit to give it a grainy look.

How about eggshell white or a cream color for the interior? Then use it on the wheels and for the pinstripe.

Cream would hit it off pretty good. Then add a few pieces of dark walnut wood here and there....cream on the wheels too. [P

The top and sides, to the belt line will be covered. I have been considering canvas/burlap or vinyl. Would like it to look old; like it's been on for years. Hard to do with new vinyl. Here's a sample intended to look like canvas. Actually, it is fiberglass cloth. Primed and shot with flat black. It would probably look better, with more grain if I used tinted resin.
It's hard to photograph, looks a bit better, and blacker, in person.

Last edited:
Bob why not trying to search CL or yard sales etc for an old Couch or something to use the distressed material on it for the roof. Just a thought. [P

Unique idea.....flash makes it look gray....

The top and sides, to the belt line will be covered. I have been considering canvas/burlap or vinyl. Would like it to look old; like it's been on for years. Hard to do with new vinyl. Here's a sample intended to look like canvas. Actually, it is fiberglass cloth. Primed and shot with flat black. It would probably look better, with more grain if I used tinted resin.
It's hard to photograph, looks a bit better, and blacker, in person.

tinted resin would work...but won't that make it too stiff to use? No remarks flipper.....or is that not a problem being non flexible?....gotta be something else....just not sure what...how about a fabric shop..or trim shop with some distressed leather or plether/ vinyl... [S

I like the idea, Bob. Bonded to the plywood, it'll be "Minnesota-Proof" if you know what I mean. :D

If the color or "sheen" fails to satisfy... paint it.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the covering of the roof and sides and rear to the belt line. I went to a very good fiberglass supply store today. Got some heavy coarse weave 'glass cloth and some very slow kicking resin. The resin will be tinted black. It's not an issue if the covering is hard and rigid. If this doesn't work, there will be a deficit of pictures.[ddd

Last edited:

I mixed up a batch of epoxy, threw in a little color and took the plunge. The heavy weight glass cloth laid down nicely and I simply brushed a little resin on and used a squeegee to move it around and get a consistent coating. The garage was cold and I used slow catalyst so it didn't set up for a few hours. It is close to the look I want but it is too shiny. It will need a dusting of flat black paint.
A little bit nervous about trimming. I hate to mess it up at this point.

I will admit I was a bit skeptical at first but now I see you have hit it right out of the park. I just could see the final product in my minds eye. I like it a lot. Nice work! [P

Latest posts

Back