Colorado rat owners, mass vacation?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Colorado guys out there.
Me and a couple other guys (who for some reason aren't part of RRR[S) are planning a trip in July 2013.
We will be departing Denver and head to the bonneville salt flats for a couple days of fun, then from there headed to the Ink N Iron show in Long Beach California aboard the Queen Mary ship. After that show, on our way back to denver, rolling through Vegas for a day or so.

I think it would be GREAT to get a few other guys to go along with us!
I'll be driving my rat, and my buddies will be bringing theirs.
Is anyone else interested?

Of course, if there are other members along the route (which is currently unplanned) would like to join in, the more the marrier!

Last edited:
Just saw the year that you're making your trip...I'm heading to Bonneville this year...but I'm sure I'll be back there next year as well. Not sure about Long Beach in 2013, but it's a long way off so might be able to make that as well....never know.

-Troy

Just saw the year that you're making your trip...I'm heading to Bonneville this year...but I'm sure I'll be back there next year as well. Not sure about Long Beach in 2013, but it's a long way off so might be able to make that as well....never know.

-Troy

Figured it would be better to start another thread rather then COMPLETLY ruin RR's :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see as far away as Florida is taking such a trip! It's a year and a half out and a lot of things change in that time, but hopefully, with enough notice, we can get a bunch of RRR guys to meet along the way. Bonneville would. E a great venue!

I can hardly plan things out a week ahead, but over a year? Wow. I'll probably still be here along the route, for a pit stop place, if nothing else. Maybe make the trip too.

Yeah...Sorry about the RR!:D
I agree...even if some folks have to fly out I'm sure they would want to make it. Plus there is camping at "The Bend In the Road" at Bonneville...which is what I plan to do...so people can save on the hotel if they don't mind camping.

That would be a very awesome event with a bunch of RRR guys there! :D I think that there are a few Bonneville guys on the forum with us so we might be able to get some pointers and other info as well.

-Troy

I can hardly plan things out a week ahead, but over a year? Wow. I'll probably still be here along the route, for a pit stop place, if nothing else. Maybe make the trip too.

The whole year away thing started out with me and my local friends so we all have time to get each chosen vehicle in check, and so I can finish my build :) otherwise I'm riding shotgun, and that just won't do! :D

I just got to thinking that since there is so much time between now and then, maybe we could get the word out to other guys who can, unlike you and I, plan a year in advance on taking the trip.

You are one of the guys actually, I had in mind in spreading the word to, as well as your posse in the valley to the south :D

Yeah...Sorry about the RR!:D
I agree...even if some folks have to fly out I'm sure they would want to make it. Plus there is camping at "The Bend In the Road" at Bonneville...which is what I plan to do...so people can save on the hotel if they don't mind camping.

That would be a very awesome event with a bunch of RRR guys there! :D I think that there are a few Bonneville guys on the forum with us so we might be able to get some pointers and other info as well.

-Troy
I'm looking forward to it since it would the first trip of its kind to me. I've never been to bonneville to begin with so that's a treat in itself. Almost all my road trips I've ever been on were due to work, so this would be a dream for me to leave work behind to attend such an event!

Well, as you neglected to add the rest of the country to your list, I will chime in. That sounds like a cool trip! I would have to get going on the rat and up the gears a little but you are only 2.5 days from me in NH the way I drive! And I have been wanting to go to Bonniville for ever. Drove passed it on the trip to OR but didn't stop in. Might have to skip the Cali leg though. [cl
I do like to road trip it!

I did drive a 76 Trans Am 455 4 spd back from OR to NH with no license! Seems a long time ago......

Of course, if there are other members along the route (which is currently unplanned) would like to join in, the more the marrier!

Well, as you neglected to add the rest of the country to your list, I will chime in. That sounds like a cool trip! I would have to get going on the rat and up the gears a little but you are only 2.5 days from me in NH the way I drive! And I have been wanting to go to Bonniville for ever. Drove passed it on the trip to OR but didn't stop in. Might have to skip the Cali leg though. [cl
I do like to road trip it!

I did drive a 76 Trans Am 455 4 spd back from OR to NH with no license! Seems a long time ago......

Technicly, my above quote included the entire country......since the route is currently unplanned :) maybe, just maybe, our route would include a drive through NH first :D

I was thinking that it would be even better if a number of guys from the eastern half, left a couple days early, picked up other drivers as they head west. This theory would continue all the way to bonneville so by the time we all arrive there, we have a giant group of 50!! :)

Colorado guys out there.
Me and a couple other guys (who for some reason aren't part of RRR[S) are planning a trip in July 2013.
We will be departing Denver and head to the bonneville salt flats for a couple days of fun, then from there headed to the Ink N Iron show in Long Beach California aboard the Queen Mary ship. After that show, on our way back to denver, rolling through Vegas for a day or so.

I think it would be GREAT to get a few other guys to go along with us!
I'll be driving my rat, and my buddies will be bringing theirs.
Is anyone else interested?

Keep me posted- don't know if I'll have my coupe road worthy by then

Keep me posted- don't know if I'll have my coupe road worthy by then

Aw common man! Almost a year and a half away :)

Dedicate 5 hours a week to it. Thatsn1 hour a night after work, or part of a Saturday or Sunday. Or heck, take a 1 week vacation from work and go to town :rolleyes:

It's okay, I'm really starting to push hard on my build too cause of this deadline :D

Just thought of something.
If you drive a car across state lines, I assume the state you are currently in imposes their laws on your vehicle?

Fender laws for example. Will I be required to run full fenders?

I think this is true because once I was in Texas with my little service box dually Toyota. I was pulled over and was told that I needed to put mud flaps on the truck if I was staying In the state for any extended period of time.

Might be something to look into before everyone is pulled over on their merry little way :rolleyes:

I'm gonna need to be kept posted on this, as fopr right now I'm totally in, I am already going to be in Bonneville(this year and next and next haha).
A good drive with a ton of Rat steel is awesome in my book.

I'm gonna need to be kept posted on this, as fopr right now I'm totally in, I am already going to be in Bonneville(this year and next and next haha).
A good drive with a ton of Rat steel is awesome in my book.

Judging by your background, you'll have a pretty sweet ride for the trip!
I have a buddy (he actually got me into rats) who lives in parker. He's got a a radicly chopped 20's olds, an old PU of some sort and just got a nice ratty 50's caddy. He'll be driving the caddy once he gets air ride on it. He said he'll leave it in its current factory worn form :D
I'll bet you keep your eyes out for him, you'll see one of them driving around, though he spends more time in the shop then he does driving.

c4138ba0.jpg

bbc2dedc.jpg

d06afd93.jpg

c1df4cd2.jpg

7428f46e.jpg

b2e463cb.jpg

14cc2bce.jpg

Last edited:
Those are pretty sweet, gotta love all the wicked rides from the ol' CO
my gf's bro has a model a thats just about ready to run around, no chop, air ride out back. gonna drag him along if possible.

oh if anyone hears of shows drop me a note I don't run around to shops or anything to much to be up on the whens and wheres.

oh if anyone hears of shows drop me a note I don't run around to shops or anything to much to be up on the whens and wheres.

The best one I know of is the Golden Super Cruise. It's the 1st Saturday of each month during the summer.
It's absolutely not something anyone should ever miss!
Its not sponsored by anyone, just a day everyone in Colorado show up. Every single parking spot, grass spot, drive through and street is filled with cars and trucks! Doesn't matter what they are, it's there.
I actually brought a few friends and asked them what their all time favorite car was, then showed them many fine examples of each, cause there's always one of everything.
Lots of rats, lots of gold chain showers, redneck pickups, new muscle, old muscle, you name it.
http://goldensupercruise.com/

Just thought of something.
If you drive a car across state lines, I assume the state you are currently in imposes their laws on your vehicle?

Fender laws for example. Will I be required to run full fenders?

The answer on that is no. You only have to adhere to the laws of the state you are licensened in. Except for stuff like seat belt laws and cell phone laws the inspections stuff they can not enforce.

Latest posts

Back