convertible truck???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

now hear me out.... just out of CURIOSITY i would like to see any pics of convertible trucks.... not saying im going to do it but i am just curious about seeing some.

Depends on the truck used, but some turn out pretty well and some turn out not so good. It seems some truck cabs don't lend themselves well to having the top cut off. When we were chopping my '39 Dodge and the top was sitting on the garage floor we commented that it made one ugly looking roadster pickup. :p It had no style to it whatsoever.

Don

convertible truck?

Your a brave soul ,bless you. With the correct reinforcing around the windscreen
and additional structural strengthening it would look good and still function. This is a factory 1991 Dodge Dakota ragtop, I suggest you find one to see what they did factory before you get the plasma cutter out and give your truck a haircut.

Attachments

• dodge convertible5.jpg
    dodge convertible5.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 58
I had a '75 C10 that I got for free from a girlfriend's dad. I drove it through the winter to keep my '66 Impala in the garage. Once spring came, I thought that it needed to be a convertible. (And covered with mint green house paint)

We stood in the open doorframes while we cut the top out, targa style. Then we cut off the back window and frame. When we went to shut the doors, they wouldnt close. The whole body sagged down at the b-pillars.

We ended up jacking up the body and welding the doors shut. I was tall enough (6'5") that I could throw a leg over the side and plop right down in the drivers seat. Everyone else would climb up the rear, walk through the bed and climb over the back wall and seat.

We had a ton of fun in that truck until I got caught out in a torrential downpour and the wiring shorted out. I let it dry out and drove it a couple more times...then it caught fire. I put the fire out and still got $150 out of it at the salvage yard.

Moral of the story, convertible pickups need bracing. Lots of bracing:D.

Hodag

Latest posts

Back