Cop stops Camaro doing 171... just wondering if it's anybody we know!?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Mr. Big Brain, :D here's the extra Data:

" In the LASD's 0-60 miles-per-hour acceleration test, the all-wheel drive Interceptor Sedan with the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost sprinted there in 5.8 seconds, compared to 6.6 seconds for the rear-drive 5.7-liter V8 Dodge Charger and 6.7 seconds for the 6.0-liter V8 Chevrolet Caprice."

- http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/30/ford-police-testing-results/

>The Squad was sitting when passed at the alleged 171mph.
> A reasonable reaction time & pull out on to the Highway 15sec+/- ?
> 0-60mph data above should give you an acceleration rate

How fast does the Squad have to go to catch up to the Camero and how far will the chase last.

The premise that the mere observation of a Squad car's red lights would constitute a surrender by the alleged speeding Camero is mute.

Ok, I'll play. It's not solvable, because:

1. The cop car got up to 140MPH, but never actually reached the same speed as the Camaro, so he didn't actually catch him, he just chased him (from a close enough distance that his light were visible). Which means...
2. The premise of the lights constituting a surrender is not moot, as the guy (eventually) pulled over for the cop.
3. The top speed of the cop car is likely less than the Camaro was travelling.
4. The Camaro driver slowed down, so his speed was not constant.
5. The acceleration you listed is only to 60mph. One would have to estimate the time to top speed, which is not linear.
6. The time to catch the car is greatly dependent on the speed differential between the cop car and the Camaro. If the Camaro was going 5MPH slower than the cop, the time to catch is much different than if the speed differential is 15MPH.

I could make assumptions for all of the above, in which case the solution would no longer have anything to do with the story that started this thread.

There, I played :p

cops & red lights

Does everybody stop for flashing red lights ??????
I seem to remember accelerating ......(just a few times ) [ddd

Ok, I'll play. It's not solvable, because:

1. The cop car got up to 140MPH, but never actually reached the same speed as the Camaro, so he didn't actually catch him, he just chased him (from a close enough distance that his light were visible). Which means...
2. The premise of the lights constituting a surrender is not moot, as the guy (eventually) pulled over for the cop.
3. The top speed of the cop car is likely less than the Camaro was travelling.
4. The Camaro driver slowed down, so his speed was not constant.
5. The acceleration you listed is only to 60mph. One would have to estimate the time to top speed, which is not linear.
6. The time to catch the car is greatly dependent on the speed differential between the cop car and the Camaro. If the Camaro was going 5MPH slower than the cop, the time to catch is much different than if the speed differential is 15MPH.

I could make assumptions for all of the above, in which case the solution would no longer have anything to do with the story that started this thread.

There, I played :p

OR, in layman's terms …you can't answer the question. :p

:D:D:D

I'm just guessing here but if the police car can go 150 mph, and it takes him a few seconds to get up to that speed, he will never catch a car doing 171 mph. The lights may not even be visible 30 seconds after the Camaro passes. Did the Camaro have numbers, and a sponsor logo on the side? just call the Nascar cars home shop.

Here's some more math.
First, there's reaction time, for the policeman. Let's say he's hidden in behind a tree or a sign, facing the oncoming traffic and the speeder; his hand held radar gun out the window and a coffee on the go. The first thing he does when the Camaro goes by is turn his head to follow the sight. Then he gets rid of his coffee and sets the gun down on the other seat maybe in it's box. He starts his car and jinks out of the hiding spot and turns around on the highway and gets rolling. This all took just over a minute. The Camaro is going almost three miles a minute, so he's three miles ahead now. The cop floors the Explorer and takes another minute to get up to 140 miles an hour. Now the cop has gone about two miles, but the Camaro has gone another three, so he's six miles from the hiding place and still four miles ahead of the cop, and going faster. He can't see the flashing red lights and he has a bad attitude anyhow. The cop doesn't have a prayer of catching the bad guy [Chevy guy].

There is an equation to 'splain it all. First time in 40 years I 've ever needed Algerbra.

Disregarding all the "What Ifs" and going straight to the physics of moving objects. The Squad car has to get over 171 to eventually catch up to the Camero. So just for the math:

> the Camero's speed is a constant 171.

> From prior post we know the 0-60 speed of various squad cars.
> For the math question, we allow the acceleration rate of the Squad to also be consistent.

> You can give the LEO 15sec. to put down his donut and get onto the road.

> When we know how fast the Squad can reach 171mph, we will need to know how far it has traveled to reach that speed.

> The squads travel time/distence to reach 171mph is then compared to the Camero's distance traveled @ the consistent 171mph, we will give you the gap between the cars traveling at the same speed.

*** Traveling at the same speed it is impossible for the squad to catch the Camero.

However, with the known distance gap, it is possible to calculate the needed Speed increase by the Squad to catch the Camero and how far them must travel for it to happen.

Of course we all understand in the real world the odds of any of this happening are greater than winning the lotto and getting hit by a meteorite on the same day. :D

There's some serious stuff that you're glossing over IronRat. The poor policeman had to dump out almost half a cup of cooling coffee, and he probably didn't get his thermos cup screwed back on his thermos properly, and then there's that perfectly good donut with only two bites out of it, that he had to throw out. When he took off out of his hiding place, grumbling and cursing, he knew he couldn't catch the Camaro [didn't have a hope], but he just had to chase him.
Dogs always chase cars and don't want to actually catch them, ----------- so Policemen are like dogs,

You heard it here on this forum first, folks.[ddd

Allright guys, your not taking into account the superior intelligence of your local police, if the cop after seeing the Camaro cruise by at 171 mph, he can just sit in the exact same spot for 24 hours and wait for the guy to come back around. (think levitation) Or if he too rotates with the earth, he can wait in the same spot for 145.6 hours for the Camaro to make it around the circumference of the earth, I would then suggest standing in the road holding your hand up and blowing his whistle really loud. Either way, an easy day for the cop.

There's some serious stuff that you're glossing over IronRat. The poor policeman had to dump out almost half a cup of cooling coffee, and he probably didn't get his thermos cup screwed back on his thermos properly, and then there's that perfectly good donut with only two bites out of it, that he had to throw out. When he took off out of his hiding place, grumbling and cursing, he knew he couldn't catch the Camaro [didn't have a hope], but he just had to chase him.
Dogs always chase cars and don't want to actually catch them, ----------- so Policemen are like dogs,

You heard it here on this forum first, folks.[ddd

Now listen here MR. I have several friends that are Police Officers all decent and professional. I know for a fact any of then could drive their squad @ 171 and Still finish a donut. So no more questioning the driving and donut eating abilities of the fine Men and Women of Law Enforcement ;)

You're not going to find miles of road in Minnesota where going 171 MPH is possible. The Camaro might have topped out at 171 for an instant, but I doubt it.

Just how do you pull out and catch up with someone going that fast, even the 148?

Like this...

attachment.php

The only way to settle a speed/acceleration contest... is on the strip. [ddd

Now imagine the cop has the modern equivalent to the above. Today's fuel funnycar covers an 1/8 mile in 3 seconds and does 0 - 280 MPH in the same time...

So, the Camaro comes roasting along @ 171 and the cop (who cannot eat donuts or drink coffee in his "ready" attire) whacks the go pedal at the first illuminated indicator... 3 seconds later, the Camaro has covered 752.4 ft, the cop has covered 660 ft and still accelerating... add .5 seconds and the Camaro has covered 877.9 feet while the cop passes him @ 300.

Dr. C, this might be the first time we've agreed on anything. Whoooo,------ the cop probably won't be eating or drinking while chasing,---------- and the guy driving the Chevy is a bad guy, right?

Mac, I'm sure we see eye-to-eye on numerous subjects.

Yeah, the bad guy is driving a Chevy... but he probably disagrees with both of us. :p :D

Latest posts

Back