Crossram or tripower what say u ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneo4116

HAVE A 27 COUPE WITH A 350/350 TURBO 220 STALL 9. 5 TO1 PISTONS,202 HEADS,THUMPER CAM,PRETTY MILD STREET MOTOR, MAYBE 300HP, RUNNIN SINGLE 600 HOLLEY PRO FORM,RUNS GOOD,JUST LOVE THE MULTI CARBS,WHAT SAY U,:confused::confused: WOULD RUN BETTER ON THE STREET,TRIPOWER OR CROSS RAM

tri power would probably run better but the cross ram would be different.

I really like the 6 pack but, it's dobe a lot. The CR would set you apart. I don't think the HP difference will be that radical. You might do a little better on Gas with the Tri set up.

I have never ran a cross ram set-up, but it seems you would lose a little throtle response with it. That set up is usualy a race set up where bottom end response isn't a necessary!! The tri power is proven to work well on the street, especially if you have the proper linkage!!

I vote 6 pack!!!

Here ya go :

Attachments

• TripowertunnelramRHS.jpg
    TripowertunnelramRHS.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27
As we've discussed before, nothing runs better than a single 4 barrel on an engine (well, maybe fuel injection, but that is a different story altogether). BUT, nothing looks cooler than a few carbs sitting on top of an engine.

When I changed from the single 4 barrel on my 23 to the 2 x 2 Vintage Speed setup I did lose some smoothness, but I sure liked the looks a whole lot more. My 27 has only had a 2 x 4 setup for the 20+ years of it's existance, and that will always be there.

So, my vote goes for the 3 x 2 setup for your car. Crossrams are really not all that bad on the street, I have seen a few and the owners say they perform well, but I think the 3 x 2 would be a little easier to tune and maintain.

Don

Years ago, either Hot Rod or Car Craft did a manifold shootout. A single plane manifold worked the best. The tri-power was down on power, but the crossram was difficult. They noticed a fine mist above each carb at idle. Turns out it had a reversion problem. They tried building anti-reversion dams, which helped, but didn't cure the problems. My buddy tried a crossram on a bbc and had the same problem. He went with dual quads. My '32 actually ran better with tri-power than the single Edelbrock.

I have always felt volume is the problem with the cross ram, as I said earlier in this thread, it could cause it to lose response. Moving that much air rapidly could be a real chore!! But once you get it moving it works great!!

Not very streetable IMHO!!!

3-deuces

A 27 with 3-deuces just goes together. A 27 with crossram looks as out of place as the new shoebox kits that are mounted on the T-bird bodies.3-deuces are my pic and you can make yours different by coming up with a different air cleaner system than everybody else.:cool:

i dunno man. i knew a guy years ago had a nice 29 R.P.U with a 413 max wedge motor and those LOOOOONG factory crossrams that put each carb over the other sides valve cover and it looked KILLER. for streetable on a SBC though, i think i'd go 6 pack.

i dunno man. i knew a guy years ago had a nice 29 R.P.U with a 413 max wedge motor and those LOOOOONG factory crossrams that put each carb over the other sides valve cover and it looked KILLER. for streetable on a SBC though, i think i'd go 6 pack.

To me thats the only motor that looks right with that set-up!!

But you're right it's killer on a wedge motor!!!

I think crossrams or more impressive when you open a hood and find one.

Just sitting out in the open, they don't really have eye appeal....not like a tri-power, tunnel ram or blower.

take the cross ram and make a new top for it with 6 2jets or 6 2 g's make 4 of them dumbies and run on the 2 middle carbs then you will have something different.

Latest posts

Back