Darned kids !!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Tonight my Son Dan and I took our cars out and went to dinner and on the way back down the road to our shop Dan usually blows the carbon out of his rod and I let him go. But tonight I decided to see how fast his car really is, so I stayed in second gear and when I saw smoke coming out of his headers I kicked mine wide open. My tires lit up but then I hooked and started to pull pretty strong,

I thought I would run over him but all I could do was stay with him. :eek: He has about 135 cubes on me and probably 75 hp, but is car is heavier than mine. When we got back to the shop I asked him if he was wide open and he said when he got to 90 he backed off.

I always wondered whose car was quicker, and at least I know now that they are pretty close. Time to call Summit and order a few more parts. :eek:

Don

Here is the road where he always opens it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-akqdncZU

Last edited:
Haha, I was pretty surprised, I thought I would have to back off to keep from running over him. Didn't quite work out that way. :eek: I might get a chance to try him side by side if we go to the Billet Proof Drags in October.

Don

Way back when, I built a '68 Vette Roadster which I got in trade for a '75 Chevy Monza. The motor I built was a30 over 454 with Airflow Research heads, roller cam and a Doug Dyers Dominator. 4 speed with 4:88's. A friend of mine had a '65 Vette Roadster, same motor but more head work, same cam, but a Holley 850 and nitrous. His motor had also been blueprinted. He was a 4 speed with the same gears.

He always wanted to race to see who was faster, but I told him he was 200 lbs lighter and had more head work. One night, on the way home from the street races. we're going down the freeway in third gears. He pulls up alongside, revs his engine then down shifts. I figure "what the hay" and down shift too. We take off, pulling him in second gear. Hit third and pull some more. Hit 4th and back off the throttle.

When he catches up, he wants to try again. It took awhile for him to catch up so I figure he turned the bottle on. We slow enough to down shift to second and punch it. I wind out second pulling slightly ahead and shift to 3rd. I hear him shift to third but there's a loud "KA-BOOM!". I wind out third but he's fallen way behind. He catches up but doesn't want to try again. We both head home.

The next day, I hear from a mutual friend, that he was up all night working on his car to beat me.

We never had that race. He was arrested by the FBI a short time later. He was a wanted and convicted bank robber out of New York.

I hate when that happens.....

Haha, I was pretty surprised, I thought I would have to back off to keep from running over him. Didn't quite work out that way. :eek: I might get a chance to try him side by side if we go to the Billet Proof Drags in October.

Don

but so far....it hasn't........:D yet :eek:

Latest posts

Back