Daytona Turkey Run

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 days and counting !!! :D:D Cars are ready and so are we. We've only missed one in 30 years. We go mostly for the swap meet and I have a lot of buying to do this year for my various projects.

We live all year for this event.

Don

Eric, sorry to see you are not going to make it. :( Next year load up your truck and trailer with as many old bodies as you can and you will make a ton of money. Bodies sell like hot cakes, even crappy ones, at TR.

Counting today, there are only 6 days left till we leave. [cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

(I REALLY need this vacation !)

Don

BTW, Eric, a few weeks ago a guy on the HAMB was looking for someone to transport a car and I posted your name and number. Told him you did a great job for me very reasonably, so not sure if he ever got in touch with you or not.

Thanks Don, the referral is appreciated.
Maybe I will make it next year. I' just have to much going on right now.

Dan and I spent the entire day getting our cars cleaned and road worthy for leaving next Wednesday. Don is playing today, but he is going to go to the shop Monday night and we will help him get his T bucket ready too.

I have a long list of parts I need to buy for my rpu project, I need all the pieces for the crate 350, like distributor, alternator, starter, water pump, pulleys, etc, etc.

It is supposed to rain up in Daytona on Thursday and Saturday :)() so we might leave our cars under roof at the hotel those days and take Dans truck to the show and go in as spectators. Will have to play it by ear.

Don

Dan and I spent the entire day getting our cars cleaned and road worthy for leaving next Wednesday. Don is playing today, but he is going to go to the shop Monday night and we will help him get his T bucket ready too.

I have a long list of parts I need to buy for my rpu project, I need all the pieces for the crate 350, like distributor, alternator, starter, water pump, pulleys, etc, etc.

It is supposed to rain up in Daytona on Thursday and Saturday :)() so we might leave our cars under roof at the hotel those days and take Dans truck to the show and go in as spectators. Will have to play it by ear.

Don

Sounds like someone is getting excited [ddd;);)
I do the same thing, wait all year for a couple of big
shows and swap meets:D:D
go ahead and put your camera in the baggage now!!!!!
I'll be waiting for pic's.......You too Mav!!!!![P[P[P

I'm thinking I'll take the big camera this year. I usually take a small one that fits in my pocket but I want to take some nice pictures this year, so if it isn't too hot I may take the Nikon.

Reading Don's posts I'm getting all giggity!

Have not been in a few years, was planning to go this year. But just to much work. So I have a plan for next year, get my rudy truck done and road trip with Smallfoot.. everyone have a great time. Tobby

Not sure if I'll make the Turkey run or not this year. I'm trying to plan around family holiday plans.
I see where you're busy with shop time but have you got anything done on the Rudy truck Tobby?

My Son Don hasn't had time to get his T bucket ready for Daytona,so tonight the 3 of us went to the shop to get it and his Suburban tow car ready. Don was going to adjust the brakes on the Suburban and Dan and I were going to detail his T.

Don moved his T from his shop to in front of ours so we could wash it, and as it was running, he blipped the throttle a couple of times. Then there was this unGodly sound from the motor and it stopped running in about 1/2 second.....like it was locked up.

We put a breaker bar on the crank and it would not move, so he started pulling out spark plugs. When he pulled out the front plug on the drivers side coolant poured out, and the brand new spark plug he installed tonight was beat like no other plug I have ever seen. The entire end of it was gone ! :eek:

We pushed it back into his shop and Dan and I pulled the intake and the valve cover on the drivers side. We found the number one roller rocker sitting sideways and a very bent pushrod. That roller lifter was destroyed too. But when we pulled the head off we found the real damage. The valve had broken and destroyed the piston, and there were 3 very large cracks in the cylinder wall ! I have never seen an engine with so much damage.

Don is taking it well, and he still wants to take the Suburban and trailer in case he finds some interesting project car. So, I have agreed to put my 27 on the trailer and ride in comfort to Daytona. I like to drive my car every year, but it will make him feel better if he has a passenger on the trip.

Don has another 92 Mustang roller cam 302 in the shop, and he is thinking about having it machined and rebuilt to put in the T bucket to replace the 306 that just grenaded.

I feel bad for him, but the car has been to Daytona for the past 8 years, more or less, so it is no sin. These cars are SO MUCH FUN ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don

Yeah, if it hadn't blown up at home it would have happened in Daytona. My 27 came home on a trailer about 5 years ago, when the water pump blew and an oil galley plug popped out. That little ride home cost me $500 for a U haul truck and trailer. :(

Don

Yeah, Don wanted to take the trailer anyway, hoping to find some new project car up there. So, I will ride in comfort all the way there, but I do look forward to driving all the way to Daytona in my 27 every year. He is going to stop by the Ford Racing booth at the show and see if the brought any 302 based crate motors with them. That will make getting his T back on the road so much easier.

Well, time to get ready to go ! [cl[cl[cl[cl When I get home Sunday I start a new job Monday, pretty excited about that. I applied for a job at our wholesale division and got it, that job should be a nice change from the retail one I have had for years. The extra money will relate into more car parts too ! :D

Don

Yeah, Don wanted to take the trailer anyway, hoping to find some new project car up there. So, I will ride in comfort all the way there, but I do look forward to driving all the way to Daytona in my 27 every year. He is going to stop by the Ford Racing booth at the show and see if the brought any 302 based crate motors with them. That will make getting his T back on the road so much easier.

Well, time to get ready to go ! [cl[cl[cl[cl When I get home Sunday I start a new job Monday, pretty excited about that. I applied for a job at our wholesale division and got it, that job should be a nice change from the retail one I have had for years. The extra money will relate into more car parts too ! :D

Don

Have a blast this weekend! Congratulations! Partly for the new job, but mostly for the car parts! [ddd

Latest posts

Back