Do you treat Patina???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

Do you just leave as is and let the rust just keep eating away at your rat, or is there something to treat it with that stops the cancer but leaves the surface rust?

clear it

on my 50 dodge truck, l'm leaving the primer from 20-25 years ago the guy l got it from put on. the oringal green and brown is showing thru the grey.

Just gonna scruff it up a liitle and clear coat it.

just for kicks, throw some pearl in the clear and see how it looks:D

Later:confused:

There is no way (that i know of) to stop the cancer but leave the surface rust. If you put a coat over the surface rust, well its still on the top layer of metal and eating through.

thought

There is no way (that i know of) to stop the cancer but leave the surface rust. If you put a coat over the surface rust, well its still on the top layer of metal and eating through.

there is a product called--rust-mort--it turns the metal with rust on it black and chemachily changes the rust and stops it from advancing.

othet companies market the same product under differant names. the first gallon l bought at a auto paint store for $60.00 and it worked great. then l went to my local ace hardware store and the brand they sold was $22.00 a gallon.
funny thing is l took my label from the R- M and compared with ace's
brand, same exact stuff. l have used both and am happy with the results.

CAUTION:eek::eek::eek:CAUTION!!!! WHERE GOOD LEAK PROOF RUBBER
GLOVES AND USE IN WELL VENTALATED AREA OR WHERE A GOOD RESPRATOIR!!! l say this as l have had personail experaince with these products:eek:
sorry for some misspelled words, it late and l am dog tirrrrrreeeddd[ddev

Later:cool:

CAUTION:eek::eek::eek:CAUTION!!!! WHERE GOOD LEAK PROOF RUBBER
GLOVES AND USE IN WELL VENTALATED AREA OR WHERE A GOOD RESPRATOIR!!! l say this as l have had personail experaince with these products:eek:
sorry for some misspelled words, it late and l am dog tirrrrrreeeddd [ddev
Later:cool:

Could it be you cooked a few brain cells using the product. :D

ya, l did

Could it be you cooked a few brain cells using the product. Quote bullet;;

Probally a lot more than a few,,hahhahahhaahhaaa:confused::confused::confused:

Later[dr

Once rust starts anywhere it will continue until it eventually completely eats the metal it is on. Anyone who lived up north knows how a small spot can end up being a car that is so rotten it literally falls apart.

The products the guys are talking about are rust converters. They chemically change the rust into an inert substance so the rusting stops, or is at least slowed down considerably. Lots of brands, like the ones mentioned, and I personally have used Picklex20 (good but expensive, about $ 100 a gallon) and also Ospho (cheaper, about $ 20 a gallon and available everywhere, like hardware stores, Home Depot, etc) It seems to me the Picklex20 works a little differently, as it will clean the metal to a shiny state if you use a 3M pad with it, whereas the Ospho turns the rust black.

I wanted to stop the surface rust on the 46 I bought last fall until I can get around to working on it, so I wiped down the entire car with Ospho. It turned most of the rusted spots black but left some brown, even after a few coats. I like the patina look so well I am considering just leaving the car like that when I do build it, and the Ospho should keep it from rusting any worse, I hope.

Don

Latest posts

Back