"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back again. With no luck looking for a job, it was time again to get a little something done. New wheel cylinders and shoes on the rear,(the springs and hold downs were still in good shape, even after sitting in the pasture for ten+ years), finished the parking brake, put on my birthday present chrome valve covers, gave the engine a good washing, and started getting the "floorboards" ready to be put in. I have some heat and sound deadening foil stuff I'm going to glue on the floor panels and put some cheap carpet door mats over that. It won't help with the noise but if I can seal up where there's supposed to be a firewall, maybe it won't be overly toasty inside. Also, I got the seat mounting bolts installed and measured for where I want the gas tank to go.It "should" fit but I know better. That's all.

Attachments

• parkin brake 2.jpg
    parkin brake 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 48
  • parkin brake 1.jpg
    parkin brake 1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Floorboards.jpg
    Floorboards.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 44
  • valve covers.jpg
    valve covers.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 52
  • parkin brake 4.jpg
    parkin brake 4.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 46
  • parkin brake 3.jpg
    parkin brake 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 47
  • rear brakes.jpg
    rear brakes.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 42
Dirtyrat, it actually is out of the way. I sit far enough back that my oversized legs don't hit it. I did a little trial and error on that one. :)

I am getting a little done between working on my stuff, looking for a job, and doing "charity" work for half the people in town. I got the front brakes totally rebuilt. New wheel cylinders, shoes, springs. I had to make one adjuster for the right side. It just wasn't there when I pulled the drum. The VW had been sitting up since '72. The parts house did a slight turning on the drums to clean them up. It didn't take much. I've got some metric to standard fittings coming so I can finish hooking up the brake lines. If I would have just used metric lines, I wouldn't have fittings all over the place. Just wasn't thinking the day I bent all four lines and put them on. Next, I finally got the parking park completely done. I had to cut and splice the right hand cable. That worked out better than expected. I had to make a couple of brackets to hold the front brake lines. I was looking for material and sighted a "hurricane clip" I had left over from my fence. A little cutting and shaping and whamo, a bracket. Then, I cut out some insulation and got it laid out where it goes. It'll have to come up to glue it down but I was worried about having enough. Got plenty. That's all.

Attachments

• adjust.jpg
    adjust.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 23
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 21
  • front brakes.jpg
    front brakes.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 21
  • insulation.jpg
    insulation.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 22
I got the front right spindle drilled for a cotter pin since the double nut bearing retainer got lost somewhere. I just got an 18mm castle nut and drilled a 1/8" hole. Works good and didn't cost 20 something bucks. Mounted the seats for a trial run. Lots easier than with the body back on. I had to do a couple modifications to the floor pan to make it work. Got to remember the wiring on the seats and run power for that yet. The drivers' seat has three memory settings so I can just punch a button to come forward, after I get in, and punch another to go all the way back so I can get out. And I picked up a battery box to mount. I've got the brakes finished except for bleeding the wheel cylinders. Next person that stops by will help with that if they want to borrow anything. Then I can put the doghouse back together and tackle mounting the body some way so it won't blow off. That's all for this time.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 24
  • spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 20
I finally got the brakes all done. They might need another bleeding later. I used my vacuum kit and some rubber hose to bleed them so a good old fashioned "pump and hold" will probably get it perfect. Then, I insulated the sheet metal and put the house back together. Got the guages in and need to hook them up. I made an armrest/center console out of a couple of old ammo boxes. Storage front and back. I'll get an oblong pillow to throw on top and it'll work good. There's still the issue of sealing up around the "firewall" and transmission but I can do that after the body goes back on. That's all.

Attachments

• house 1.jpg
    house 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 19
  • console 2.jpg
    console 2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • console 1.jpg
    console 1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 20
  • guages.jpg
    guages.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 22
  • house 3.jpg
    house 3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 19
  • house 2.jpg
    house 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 19
I started getting these three gauges hooked up. Had to buy a piece of 5/16 cooler line to mount the tranny temp sending unit. (that sure doesn't look like a newly rebuilt tranny anymore) Got it wired up and started on the engine temp and oil pressure hook ups. I'm going to mount a three gauge bracket behind the drink holders, up under the dash, for a volt meter, fuel pressure gauge and whatever else I can find around in the junk. (Maybe an altimeter) The tach will go on the steering column. That's it.

Attachments

• transtemp.jpg
    transtemp.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 24
just about ready to sit the body back on. Finished the gauges,(rigged the oil pressure in between the fuel pump cut-off and the external gauge), got the sheet metal screwed back in place, the top bolted down, seats put back in the laundry room, the tranny modulator hooked up,(almost forgot that one). I was going to run the wiring for the tail lights and fuel pump but it can be done with the body in place. I'll either run them inside or snake them down inside the frame. Inside would be a lot easier. Maybe if not too much "extra" stuff happens around here, the body will be at least sitting on the chassis tomorrow. That's all.

Attachments

• chas.jpg
    chas.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 43
  • gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 42
  • oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 42
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 49
I managed to get the trailer backed in the driveway this morning, before it got hot. Now, I've got to take a nap and wait for the shade to return. I've got it rough sometimes.:D We don't use this trailer much anymore. Check out the traveling garden. Later.

Attachments

• 0801131019.jpg
    0801131019.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 0801131020.jpg
    0801131020.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 0801131022.jpg
    0801131022.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 0801131029.jpg
    0801131029.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 43
very nice.. it will feel good to get the body back united with the frame... I am hoping to do the same thing on sat!

Good luck..!

CORPO, it does fell good!! I got the body back on with minimal trouble. My engineer must have been sleeping when he designed the upper shock mounts. As you can see, the body is sitting up off the rear tires. That's not how it used to be. I've got to pick it back up a little in the rear and cut the corners off the channel or make a cut into the body framework. No big deal just pull the rear tires, pick it up about four inches and cut it with the trusty angle grinder. Just another half gallon of sweat. And my "to do" list ain't getting shorter. Pathfinder water pump, Buick motor mount, Toyota front tranny seal, siding repair on the house, cut the grass...... I just don't want to get side tracked off this build. I like progress.:)

Attachments

• 0801131017.jpg
    0801131017.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 0801131606a.jpg
    0801131606a.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 0801131641.jpg
    0801131641.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 60
I took a day off after trying to get the body in the right place. Without the floor pan, this body is just like a block of jello. I had to make a couple of brackets for the rear inner fender wells to sit on. I could pick up the rear of the body and the front doesn't move. About an inch. I could see the sheet metal on the quarter panels, moving in and out. Anyway, got the ass end sitting pretty, went to the front and the passenger side is an inch lower than the drivers side. There's no connection between the kicker panel and the part that has the door hinges. So, today, I moved things around, got the door so it would close and open. Went to the drivers side and moved things around to get the door right. Then the other side is all screwed up again. Straightened it up and the drivers side is bad. I was about to roll the body off and find something else. But, I'm going to do a water pump tomorrow and let the Ghia think about it for a couple more days. Dang thing is 51 years old. It ought to know better. That's all.

The Ghia body must of heard me. I went out this afternoon and things went well. I had to pick the rear up some more to get the doors to work but, I'll find some taller, fatter tires to fill in the gap. Made some brackets out of flat bar and got the body bolted down. (Tried to find some places that weren't toally rusted through.) It'll probably all fall down from where it's mounted when it hits the road. :eek:

Attachments

• 0806131721.jpg
    0806131721.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 0806131849.jpg
    0806131849.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 0806131722c.jpg
    0806131722c.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 0806131722a.jpg
    0806131722a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 0806131146a.jpg
    0806131146a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 26
The wiring seems to be going good. I actually remembered where most of the wires go. The engine wiring is all back hooked up. I ran the wires for headlights and turn signals. I ran a bundle of six wires. That should cover high/low beams, turn lights and fog lights. I'm going to try grounding all to the frame instead of running separate ground wires. Might try to see where to put the gas tank tomorrow. I've got a 12 gallon stainless tank that was made as a travel trailer water tank. That was like 40 years ago and was never used. There's a storage space, under the rear window area, that would be good but, I think I'll put it back where the engine used to be. I'm not real thrilled about having the tank inside the car with me. That's all.

Attachments

• 2013-08-07_224447.jpg
    2013-08-07_224447.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 0801131607a.jpg
    0801131607a.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 0801131650b.jpg
    0801131650b.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 21
Last couple of days: I got the fuel regulator mounted back and ran line to carb w/ filter. I pulled the tail lights to change to 12v bulbs and what a mess. The drivers side was just about like new. The pass side is crap. The pot metal is brittle and breaks just handling it. This body must have sat in a ditch or creek for a while. There's water marks inside the rear fenders and everything on that side is either rusted totally out or close to it. I think there's enough of the light to make work. The bottom socket that's broke is the stop light. I'll have to rig up anther socket there somehow. And I sat the gas tank and battery box in the back. I'll mount the tank down a little, between the frame rails and there's still room for the battery. I pulled the rusted shelf from below the rear window and found a cane poll. Must have been holding the fabric up years ago. I think maybe a sheet of plywood to cover the holes in the luggage area and some patchwork sheet metal to close in the gaps. I've got plenty of computer cases left. :D

Attachments

• 0809131138a.jpg
    0809131138a.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 0809131715.jpg
    0809131715.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 0808131110b.jpg
    0808131110b.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0808131110.jpg
    0808131110.jpg