"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got finished with the exhaust. I wrapped the rear most pipe, on both sides, to try to keep some heat out of inside. And made a heat shield and mounted on that pipe. I wrapped the 45s from the header flange to maybe cut down a little heat also. No, I lied. I wrapped the 45s to cover up my really bad looking welds. I just couldn't get the hang of the wire feed welder before the guy took it back. Tomorrow, maybe get back on the interior and get the seats in. That's all.

Attachments

• ex 2.jpg
    ex 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 37
  • ex 3.jpg
    ex 3.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 60
  • ex 1.jpg
    ex 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 42
They might well be mumified, the way the welds look under the wrap. I don't mind criticism but I can try to keep it down when possible. :D
I got the interior back together the other day, between rain showers. I still need to run a fused power wire to the seats. I like the three way memory on the drivers seat. The tach needs to put somewhere along with the voltmeter. I'm going to pass on the fuel pressure gauge. If it's running, it's got fuel pressure, I suppose. Then a covering for the dash, some silicone to fill in all the gaps around everything and some insulation on the inside of the firewall panels. I've still got lots to do. That's all.

Attachments

• 0915131638b.jpg
    0915131638b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 32
Sure, skull. You got 'em. I did a little today. Got the passenger window to roll up finally. Now the tarp can go away. Just trying to keep the cats and visiting raccoons out of it. Got the seats wired in. I had to put an inline fuse on that. The fusebox is full. I might call my buddy up the road and see if he'll help me with something for the front sheet metal, fenders, or whatever. He's got the tools and plenty of scrap to play with. And, I got a call for a job. A demo job in Freeport. Right up my alley. Should last about nine months I was told. That's just right. I'll be tired of it by then. That's all.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 71
  • quarter.jpg
    quarter.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 73
  • quarter2.jpg
    quarter2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 73
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 85
Grat looking build. It reminds me of one of those killer rides from death-race... I definately am a fan! Glad to hear you picked up some work! Hope you find some goodies to work our the rest of this ride!

Thanks guys!! No progress these last two days. Been doing paperwork, pee test, physical exam, safety council, background checks, credit check,and all the crap that goes with getting hired on a job. Got to go Monday for more. It's getting more involved every year. I only got about five more years of this and it's all over for me and the chemical plants. That's all.

Nice progress. Your going to scare little kids on the street corners. Heres a thought for the front fenders. lengthened kia with cutout for the exhaust and the kia grill no hood [S
Looking good, and good luck with the new job and yes, semi retirement is a good thing. [cl

really cool build. a "run what ya brung" concept.

but i'm with the rest, ditch the round headlights. and i'm wondering if you could get away with a heavy tube front end like the truck pic.

maybe just a hood and tube, bare smaller rad and a couple 7in rounds. give it a dirt track racecar feel.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been on the look out for a donor vehicle to get some round headlights and some sheet metal. I think I'm going with bigger and taller front tires too. It just doesn't look right with little tires. I'm going to play with the photos and see what I can come up with. That's all.

Not much getting done here. Lawn mower repair, new clothes drier, window a/c crappin' out, just the normal daily routine. I ran across an old Honda motorcycle horn the other day and said "why not"? Of course, it didn't work. I think it came off a '68 model Honda Scrambler 90 I'd bought from my brother back in '71. But, I had to take it apart and clean the tiny set of contacts inside. Not real easy with my poor eyesight and fat fingers. But, I got 'er working and mounted in front of the radiator. Still have to hook up the wire and mount a button inside. And I got the vent line ran for the fuel tank. Got to go back for more safety "training" tomorrow and start the new job Monday. Oh, boy! That's all.

Attachments

• horn1.jpg
    horn1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 28
  • horn2.jpg
    horn2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 27
  • tank vent.jpg
    tank vent.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26
Well, there's two days gone and all I got accomplished on this project was to mount a junction box for the front wiring. The new job went good for the first week. It'll be better this coming week with cooler temps forecast. I got my freebie mower going and of course it doesn't cut right. So I broke out the old dependable Snapper and it decided to crap out. I've either got to fix one of them or break out the push mower. Decisions, decisions.:rolleyes: That's all.

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 25
Well, so much for the nine month job. It seems Dow chemical got a little worried about the big gov. "shutdown" and decided some things can be put off. Like my job. I managed to get two weeks in anyway. Back to looking again. But, I did find a guy that has many VWs and is going to hook me up with a "historical document" and an I.D. plate for my Ghia, for a hundred. That's a load off my mind. And a windshield for 50. Can't beat that. I've been looking for his place for three or four years and kept getting bad directions. So, I was out riding the country looking in the general vicinity and noticed an old man sitting out under a shade tree. I stopped and asked him and he sent me right to it. I may go back tomorrow and buy the old guy a cold one. That's it.

I spent most of the day cleaning out junk and unnecessary items from my shed/shop. A whole bunch of stuff like used pistons, rods, pushrods, rockers, ect. that I've been keeping for who knows what reason. Mostly mid 80s FWD GM stuff. I have more room for other things, now. But, I cut out some carpet pieces to fit on the top of the dash. I'll clean it all up and glue it down after the new windshield gets installed. Even managed to get the chrome off without messing it up. I've got to get the old glass out and patch up one bad place that'll leak water and air. No Astro ventilation here. That's all.

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 33
  • chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 27
  • windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
You're correct Sam. Sometimes, it's easier to just go look.
I got the winshield out and have a little repair work to do if I don't want to get flooded if it rains. I may cut up another license plate and use a little silicon on it. I got the tach mounted (not connected yet) and mounted my custom volt meter. It's a gauge from a Chevy van. I made up a little box for it and used a magnet from a computer hard drive, to mount it. Those little rare earth magnets are tough.I've pinched a finger once or twice, just playing with 'em. And I discovered not to give a couple of these magnets to someone that doesn't know what they are. They will make a blood blister on unsuspecting fingers. That's all.

Attachments

• dash 1.jpg
    dash 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 21
  • dash 2.jpg
    dash 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 20
  • dash 3.jpg
    dash 3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 21
  • dash 4.jpg
    dash 4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 22
  • dash 5.jpg
    dash 5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 24
  • magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 21
I went to get my windshield and "historical document" yesterday and the guy said he forgot about it. I think he was just seeing if I was serious or not. I'll try again Saturday morning. Today, I took my sheet metal up the road about 30 miles to a friends to use his newly acquired sheet metal tools. We both discovered real quick that his stuff is made for light metal like insulation covers and duct work. The shears wouldn't shear and the rollers wouldn't roll the metal from a ford hood. Too thick. So, we spent the next hour or so rumaging around his property. He's got 40-45 old antique tractors, some functioning, most not, a bunch of old farm implements, ( he was using a 1905 corn grinder when I showed up) and we ran across a model T his nephew ran over with a bulldozer about 40 years ago. Not much left. That's all.

Attachments

• car dash.jpg
    car dash.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 26
  • car 1.jpg
    car 1.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 24
  • tail light.jpg
    tail light.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 24
Went this morning and finally got my "new" windshield and a "historical document" and ID tag. The guy has a front clip for the Ghia I could possibly use but, he wants 200 $$ for it. A little steep for my budget for sheet metal. I'll figure something out. Still have to take driveshaft to get cut and welded and get a new windshield seal. Maybe even go to work for a while so I can afford to get this thing on the road. That's all.

Latest posts

Back