Drop axle with coil overs?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil dead

I want to do something a little different on my rod and I am having very little luck finding decent pictures on the subject. I simply want to do a drop axle with coil over setup like some of the old altereds.

Anyone have some pictures to share?

A little more information on my build: 39 Dodge Bobber style truck, 440-727 looking at a 9 inch rear w/3.73s the front tires should be about even with the front of the grill full hood will still fit and of course it will be low. I was just looking at some altered pics (think Pure Hell) and thought "I bet that would look great on my build!". Thinking 4 bar with panhard and cross steer and a drop tube axle.

Here is another one

Attachments

• newframe1A.jpg
    newframe1A.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 76
  • newframe2A.jpg
    newframe2A.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 78
  • lon's-5.jpg
    lon's-5.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 62
Heres one I have in my pic collection..

Attachments

• DSC02860.jpg
    DSC02860.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 49
What's so wrong about it? It's a very common mounting position - with coil-overs, it's all about getting the correct spring rate to give a good ride.

The angle on the coilovers does seem a little extreme, if it didn't have much travel it would probably be alright. But when the coilovers are compressed the angle changes and it would change spring rate!! Could be difficult to get the proper spring rate for a good ride.

they are angled to the rear what looks like a 45degree angle, your suspension doesnt travel backward, it needs to be allowed to travel up and down, like the others photos that were posted.

Latest posts

Back