dually death bringer :)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantwell.colton

Rat Rod Philosopher
ok -- got my donor - more or less
and got my cab - :)
now-- time to start cutting.
dually-1.jpg

duallyrat.jpg

amount spent 450$ [cl

well , its 1980 3/4ton :) 351m standard
got it stripped to the frame already, cab will be chopped probably 6or 7 in all around.
cut the frame up a little -- move some mounts, suck the cab back to the rear wheels etc... havent decided on the front yet, going to get everything else done and squared up before i decide about running a straight axle - got a couple i can get no problem from the same guy i got the cab but i may just keep it as it is with the dual beam and chop the springs down... we will see.

If you cut the springs, you'll have to have the beams bent or the camber will be off. A big problem with the Ford IFS.

good luck, seams like your doing good price wise, I'v been looking for a flatbed for one of my trucks and they go for that much around here without the truck. Would offer to buy yours but we ain't that close. You deliver?

good luck, seams like your doing good price wise, I'v been looking for a flatbed for one of my trucks and they go for that much around here without the truck. Would offer to buy yours but we ain't that close. You deliver?

righht -- cost me 250 to deliver it that far lol - been trying to find that bed a home but no takers so ill probably scrap it ...
the camber or the caster ? either way couldnt i fab up some ccplates rather than bend any beams?
also - thats not really set in stone -- lots of other options -- could just run smaller tires? lol anyways
ill see what its looking like when i get there - got a lot to do before that and like i said the guys got a whole mess of old cars and trucks out at his place with solid axles waiting to be plucked :) -- just a matter of matching up measurements..

Your very fortunate to have easy access to parts like that CC. :cool:

thank you - and i know -- took me a good long while to find anyone down here that had this stuff laying around -- its about 45 min away straight into the middle of know where - but then, there it is - apparently the guy that owned the ranch before him always had a dream of having a vintage car salvage yard -- and when he passed away and his son got his inheritance/trust etc - he abandoned his dads idea and sold the place cars and all -- his prices are fair and the parts are accessible ... very fortunate... its like my own private salvage yard :)

the camber or the caster ? either way couldnt i fab up some ccplates rather than bend any beams?

Camber - the Ford Twin I-beam camber depends on the springs being at a certain height. The only way to change it is to lower the pivot also or bend the beams. Or buy drop beams.

Something to think about... ditch the coil springs and their towers, and go for coilovers. Rods have been using them for years.

O I see it's an F250 (has paralell leaf springs)

Last edited:
Been waitin' to see what your frame looks like . Get it striped down yet?

i lent my dad my little dakota to drive back and forth to LA for work
and my buddies flat bed is in the shop getting the clutch and throw out
bearing replaced -- long story short, the frame is ALMOST stripped -- there
is no cab, body etc, but i cant move my engine hoist in my jeep or lancer or mountaineer lol --- so cant pull the engine, and transmission until one of the trucks is done or back ---
i have moved back the rear end already - and have it all marked out to be cut
up and put back together --- going to lose about 15 in. of wheelbase, which is good -- i was a little worried about the length and the engines coming back i think 24 inches? -- not sure on that number -- have to look at the frame -- its a jump though... also picked up an old case sc tractor grille from the EvilBay today for about 40 dollars :)

Hmmm.... Just don't know what you mean (move the rear end back) I'll have to see it. I have a F150 extended cab that I am considering useing for a build. The frame under the cab runs paralell to the ground , making it easy to mount my 53 ford cab. Just kinda dreamin' bout it so far , up hear in Mn. all my stuff is covered in ice!!

Hmmm.... Just don't know what you mean (move the rear end back) I'll have to see it. I have a F150 extended cab that I am considering useing for a build. The frame under the cab runs paralell to the ground , making it easy to mount my 53 ford cab. Just kinda dreamin' bout it so far , up hear in Mn. all my stuff is covered in ice!!

hmm -- heres a rough idea -- not real good with paint so bear with it -- should be good for a better idea though...
roughframedrawup.jpg

Looks like you're also moving the motor down a lot. Don't forget the distance your driveshaft adds when it flattened out. Burned myself on that once already.

hmm THANKS!

Looks like you're also moving the motor down a lot. Don't forget the distance your driveshaft adds when it flattened out. Burned myself on that once already.

wow -- hadnt really taken that into consideration -- the angle difference will probably change at least an inch huh? well the drive shafts done -- its connected back on the rear end so i guess it my be easier to do final measurements from the back forward, -- thanks - i really hadnt taken that into consideration... -- also losing a lot of height on the front tire size -- the tires on the frame were about 31.5 in and the ones ill be using for the mock up are around 26.5 -- ill probably end up running a little larger but wanted to make sure i didnt screw up and when i go to put new shoes on her - have the trans sitting on the ground lol

Latest posts

Back