Duplicolor primer/sealer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studedude

First time posting to this forum.I gotta 59 Studebaker Lark 4dr.Not real sure exactly what I'm gonna do with it yet,just kinda day by day.Car is in pretty bad shape.I just got done welding in a new floor.Still gotta work on the trunk and a few other areas.I've got the front end off and I'm doing some body work to it.Now that I got you up to speed with my project,here in a few days I'm gonna be done with the front grill area of the car.I want to put something on it to keep it from getting surface rust while I do work on the fenders and the rest of the car.Sometimes I get freebies from some friends of mine that work in varies industries and I came across a quart of Duplicolor primer/sealer.I am just wondering if this stuff will be good to go straight onto bare metal or is it the wrong product altogether for what I need?I heard from some ppl that it is a laqcuar and that it won't last and will just cause me problems down the road when I go to paint the car.Is there any truth to this or are they just being d-bags?Any help will be greatly appercitated cause I don't know jack about paint and primers.

How about a proper intro (in the Intro section) - with pics. We like pics.

Well, not sure about your question, so I'll ask one myself. Are you planning on a fit and finish rod or a ratty rust bucket? If your going low buck, you might wanna go with Ospho or some other rust converter.... or just let er rust - we like patina round these parts.

If your talking primer and you might have a little residual rust, I'd go with a etch primer. Otherwise, epoxy. (.02$, but I'm no paint guy though)

Sorry about the intro.just thought I'd jump right into it.As far as what I'm gonna do with the car,I'm kinda drifting toward just a daily driver rod.If that makes any since.Not to ratty but nothing thats gonna win a show either.Definetly low buck,but at the same time when I do something I want it to last.Get what I mean.I was just wanting to find out if this primer/sealer would be ok to spray strait onto bare stripped down metal with a little bondo on it?

A. Your freinds are correct about the duplicoler laquer paint. It will turn to crap eventually and has horrible uv protection. Id either go enamel or even rustoleom cheapo stuff is a really good paint and close to what they use to use back in the day.
B. You never answered whether its primer or primer sealer. Bare metal should always be prepped well and coated with etching primer.
C. I think you should let it sit for about a month to obtain some rust...:)

The can just say Duplicolor Primer/sealer.Just like that primer/sealer.So is this stuff good for anything other than the trash can or a wheelbarrow or something?

It sounds like Laquer base primer and metal sealer like autozone sells. If you dont get paint over it or sometimes even if you do rust will bleed through. Im no paint expert but you have to be careful with new paints or something being "hotter" then the paint under it and getting "orange peel".The best is an epoxy primer to seal the metal off then use a compatible with your paint build primer on top of that.

Yeah,it came from autozone.What can it be top coated with?Does it have to be lacquer or can it be anything?Just checked out another thread about ppl using rustoleum on their car and it actually turned out really good.Don't know how long it would last but some of them have had theirs painted for a couple of yrs and they still looked good.Plus they only spent like $20 to paint their cars.Has anybody else seen that?

I have been to many different training seminars on automotive paint. What I can tell you is this! Primer/Sealer is used to provide a adhesion coat between the primer and topcoat. It is not ment to cover bare metal. Sure you can spray it on but it will quickly bleed rust through. Here are some suggestions for you.

If you are looking to finish the rod in paint to look presentable but as low buck, find you a Tractor Supply Store and use the implement paint they sale. You can get an etching primer , primer, sealer and top coat for around the cost of 2 quarts of Dupont base coat paint. The implement paint is a urethane enamel base product and holds up really well.

Now if you have the cash to drop get Dupont, BASF Diamont or RM paint system and you will get a really hard urethane paint on your ride that will last a LONG time!! You will also depending on the color drop about $500.00 - $1000.00 for all the supplies you need for a base coat clear coat system.

Now the duplicolor system is based off of the old lacquer paints but with new age additives to get by the government regulations. I tried this on a vehicle once, after it was all said and done, I had to call the company for top coat info. With a Lacquer paint as there's is you can paint an enamel paint over it in 12 hours (to be safe). It will not cause you any ill effects, so they say, So I repainted the vehicles I sprayed with enamel about 6 hours later and it looks good to this day and that was 2 years ago.

My .02 cents on top of the $78.00 I already rambled on about is this. If you want something that will look good and last a while use the implement paint system. If your wanting something to last a really long time go with the expensive name brand paint systems. Lastly, if you are painting a go-cart use the duplicolor system.

Sorry for the novel!! Hope it helps you out!!

I got another question.Since this primer is crap and not what I need.If I go and buy some more primer should I just get etching primer and stop there or should I go ahead and buy primer sealer and spray that on too.Its prolly gonna be early fall or maybe even next spring before I get around to putting some paint on the thing.So which would be better for me to do to hold it and keep it from rusting away.Also if I do end up waiting till spring before I paint it am I going to have to do anything else to it before I do paint it?

Here is mu suggestion. If it's gonna be a while before you do anything to it, I would spray it with metal etching primer and let it go. When you get ready to do the work to it, go ahead and resand your body and spray primer on it, sand that to knock the high spots off then spray with a primer sealer and apply your top coat.

The primer you spray on it now will need to be resanded before you spray anything later on due to it getting hand prints oils and other foreign matters. So you sand it (wet sand it) then you can spray your primer. Work that if it's needed then apply the primer/sealer and then your top coat. And then your done depending on your paint selection.

Good Luck!!

Latest posts

Back