Electrolysis Rust Removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

My 34 Dodge frame is partially boxed so, removing the rust by sandblasting would not work on the enclosed areas so, I tried the electrolysis bath. It worked so good that I wonder why it isn't more popular. I'ts very easy and very cheap. The following link explains the proceedures very well.
http://antique-engines.com/trailer-electrolysis.htm
FrankR
1934 Doge 392 Hemi
1963 Nova Ragtop
1972 Ford Custom[cl

I've been using that process all summer to remove rust from flathead engines. To the water I do add sodium carbonate, Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Do not use baking soda as that's sodium bicarbonate, and don't use their laundry detergent. It's a bit hard to find but I get it here locally at Fred Myers. Sodium carbonate allows the current to flow through the water. I used a 12 vold 6 amp battery charger and you can see that when the washing soda is added the conductivity is increased.

Also, In addition to scraping off the crude on top of the water (make sure power is off). You need to clean the electrode rods as they get covered with the rust that is being removed from your object. Make sure all grease and oil is off the object or it will not be as affective

For those of you that want to quickly "antique" a metal part, connect the positive lead to the part you want to "antique" and the negative lead to a piece of rusty metal. Check it every hour to determine if it's to your satisfaction.

I love this process. My only change would be to increase my the amps I use. Remeber this fact. ***********0.1 amp can kill**********

Sid

To do my 34 Dodge frame, about 1600 gallons of water was required so I used 4 boxes of Arm & Hammer washing soda. I used 12 volts DC at 200 amps. It took 3 days to get all the crusty rust off the frame. I washed off the black residue with the pressure washer. If the residue is thin, it can actually be left on. The residue is magnetite and is a rust preventative. Magnetite is a coating that many manufacturers add to sheet metal to make it rust resistant.
FrankR

Yeah, lots of current.
I acquired four old 12 volt DC 50 amp contiunuous duty power supplies that my workplace were about to send to the dump so I kept them. I connected them in parallel. That really makes this soup mix bubble. BTW the bubbles are explosive gas so you have to do this process outdoors or in a well ventilated area....don't light up a smoke!
FrankR

Latest posts

Back