finally getting started , first build. Father son project.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4''

only a suggestion, but when l was thinking on chopping mine 4'' was about all l was do.

reason;

by taking it out of the cab at the back right below the window, that way it leaves the corner windows and full size raer window, and believe me, after driving mine, you REALLY need to be able to see out the back and the side to change lanes and watch out for idiots. :eek::eek:

Later :cool:

Actually Wendal, the original color was green , someone must have painted it red along the way. But when I get into chopping the cab ill post some pics. The dash is still green. And you can see the green comeing through in a few spots on the outside.

Thanks to mother nature, baseball was canceled, so were able to get a little work done, found some of the casting numbers on the rear end ,and thank god it isn't a 69 olds rearend, it is a Chevy 12 bolt , but it has 2.73 gears . I was hopeing for 3.73 or 4.11.
Got the engine on the stand and started taking everything off of the engine. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I will vacume all the squirrel nuts off of it and take the intake and valve pan covers off to get the mouse nests out.

Attachments

• IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0338.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0339.jpg
    IMAG0339.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 41
gas tank

are you leaving the fuel tank behind the driver side frame so it fills thru the cab and has the inlet by the driver door or moving it?

my tank was so bad, l put the new tank in the bed, works well for me.

kudos on the 12-bolt chevy[dr[dr good thing is there are lots of gear choices.

Later :cool:

No I am moveing the tank to the back , under the bed . Mine was also bad had holes all through it. I think I may go ahead with the four link in the rear , I think it will turn out pretty goof with this rearend.

valleyview, it was nice to see someone from my old stomping grounds.......I grew up in the Belle Vernon area, dated some girls from right around you in Perryopolis, Whitsett, and Connellsville. Small world. :D

Last time I was back was in 2001 for a visit and didn't recognize a darned thing, guess I have been away too long and things changed so much.

Don

Nice to meet you Don, yeah I live between Perry and uniontown. Did you have a hot rod when you lived back here? My dad used to tell me stories about him and my uncles , drag raceing on rt. 51, when they were building it.

Hey Brother!!

Hey Mark, nice pictures! Glad to see you are making progress. I will see you on Thursday if things work out. I signed up under the user name Swamp View. Tom

1964 Chevy C10 (406CU IN)

0331121931.jpg
Just testing your picture upload stuff. This is the engine that is going into
a 1946 Chevy C10 that I built for my daughter.

just a thought on the chop

I went a hair over 6 inches on my chop but only 3 inches on the back window because I hate how they made them high enough to seeover your head on older trucks. also I would have left an extra inch in the winshield opening looking back. just brace brace and brace some more.

Nice to meet you Don, yeah I live between Perry and uniontown. Did you have a hot rod when you lived back here? My dad used to tell me stories about him and my uncles , drag raceing on rt. 51, when they were building it.

No when I lived in Pa hot rods (at least the fenderless/hoodless ones I wanted) were illegal, so I had stuff like GTO's, Mustangs, etc.

Yep, your Dad was probably talking about Pete's Gulf Station on 51 at the 31 overpass. It was the place we all raced at on Saturday nights.

If you know anyone who was around in 1965 ask them if they knew of a very wicked white 65 Impala with a Bill Thomas built 396 from up your way. It came down to those races and blew off some Vettes one Saturday night and was never heard from again. A true sleeper, fender skirts and all.

Don

So Jimmy, I was thinking 6" in the front and 5" in the back. Do you think that's to much? I was thinking about taking the 5" out low in the center of the cab , where the door catch is, I won't need it anyway since I am going to suicide the doors. Will that be to low. Skull suggested that I only take 4" from the back. I'm open to all sugestions. Thanks for checking out our first build!
VV.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back