Flashback 1980

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
I don't know where you were or what you were doing, (yet), but here is the thread.

And a picture of my big brothers almost finished 31 Essex rod. I was busy 4 wheeling at the time but helped him a little on this project.

essex1.jpg

Wow..1980...lets see if I can remember back that far...I had just moved to Maryland to take a design job with a conveyor company, and had started the rebuild on the Buick 231 V6 I was putting in my '77 Vega. After I figured out the best way to mount the motor and worked out the rest of the installation details (shifter, clutch...things like that) I went and bought a set of headers for a V6 Monza, and in the box they had all the part numbers to buy to bolt the motor in my Vega....so now I buy headers first before I start an engine swap :D I hadn't gotten into hot rodding yet...I was still playing with stuff like the Vega and my 66 Nova. I really didn't get into hot rods until the early 90's.

That is cool that you have a pic like that Bonehead. Wish I would have been smart enough to take lots of pictures of some of my toys from back then...the only thing I have any more are the memories, and the older I get the more they fade...or is that "the older I get the faster I was"

1980. I finally got what turned out to be my first finished car that year. I'll see if I can get a pic scanned for this thread this week. It was a 1975 Chevy Laguna (Malibu with a NASCAR nose) with a 454 and nitrous.

in 1980 i was in my 7th season of drag racing. probably racing one of my many v-8 vega's. 1980 might have been one of my 55 chevys though. the black 2 door post 327 4 speed called "knocking on heavens door" i had already quit drinking alkyhaul. not because i had a drinking problem, but because i saw the money my friends were spending on it and figured i could buy car parts with that money, lol. sadly i have no pics before 1997 because of a fire.

Livin' in Austin!

In 1980 I was livin' in Austin, Tx. out in the hill country. My daughter, left, was 9 here had her girlfriend over & we had been crusin' around. My son was 2 @ the time. I swapped a 327 4-speed in this truck about a two years after this photo & put on sidepipes. Only got beat once after the swap by a Camero whose owner was a AA/fueler wrench.

BoB

Attachments

• luv2.jpg
    luv2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
Gastrick,
Me and my brother bought laguna s3 from my uncle and built our first racecar out of it....Best irecall, they didnt need bbc and nitro.....:eek:

1980,,hmmmm,,,,was just into my 1st tour in Germany, a little town called Ascaffenburg, with the 3rd Infantry Division. At that time had a Fiat 128S that I later blew the motor on. Replaced that with a Fiat 124 that had a bad tranny. Swaped tranny from 128S to 124.

1980 was not a good year for us. We moved to California in 79 and left in 80 with our tails between our legs. The job I took to move there didn't work out the way they had promised and my wife, who is an RN, had to work full time to keep us floating. Finally I came home one day and we all agreed to throw in the towel and move back to Pennsylvania.

Luckily I found a good job back in PA and we started to get back on our feet, but "California Dreamin' " cost us dearly. Just couldn't afford to live there. :(:( Obviously I didn't build many cars during that year.

Don

1980...hmmm!

1980 I was 15 and living in New Zealand.

I got my 1st car and my drivers licence - yes you got a FULL drivers licence at 15 in NZ - I remember one of my mate took his test in an Black Aussie Falcon 500 Coupe!

And reading matter of choice...Truckin' Life...the sort of mag you LUV belonged in Tripper :D - your pick brings back many memories of the trucks and vans I dreamed of owning:)

Oh yeah the car..sorry for got that important detail...a 1964 Morris Mini Super Deluxe in fire engine red, by that I mean it was painted with left over fire engine paint :eek: the guy I bouught it off had a repair contract with the fire service and some of their paint landed on the mini - hey they're small cars so it was not a lot of paint :D I will try and find a pic I think I brought one with me when I came to England.

Okay guys, I am going through some old pictures. This one is also Circa 1980. What comes around goes around.

Attachments

• 1980 truck.jpg
    1980 truck.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 29
Oh man Bonehead, you just reminded me that I've got an alblum full of 70's car show pics that I took. If I can ever get them scanned, I'll post them.

I was 8 and into go carts then and built my first dirt bike a 75 honda,worked on it for a week and a half ,rode it a week and it blowed up ,,,,memories!!!!!:)
Hea, why dont you guys start a thread on old car show pics !!!!

In 1980 I was 12 and we were digging out of the worst natural disaster our area has ever encountered.............Mount St. Helens eruption....................Not much car action going on for awhile after that. Still have lots of that ash crap blowing around these parts. Was real strange to see it pitch black outside by 2pm in the afternoon. in May!

Hmm 1980 I think I was probably cruising around in my super sweet big wheel hahaha. But I can't remember :D

He beat me to it!:) I would have been 10 and would have been through about the third set of those cheapo plastic wheels the Big Wheels came with. I think about that time my dad had a Torino. I remember being with him when he got pulled over for speeding and loud exhaust. Then I remember him catching hell from my mom.

Hodag

Latest posts

Back