Ford 250/6, out of the grave.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewIronRats

Crazy question,could an engine that has been buried in a shallow hole for 20+ years be cleaned up, rebuilt and used ?Im asking because my Mother has had some brush and vines cleared away in her backyard and she uncovered an old 1972 Mavrick engine me and my friend buried in a shallow hole 20+ years ago and she wants me to come and get it out and hual it away.I hate to take it to the scrap yard if it can still be used.I think I have a picture of it sticking out of the ground somewhere on line. I may look for it and post it if I can find it.[P[;):cool:

Mostly depends on whether water got into it causing corrosion and/or cracked block........:(
Probably not the most desirable engine - the 240 and 300 sixes are much better engines, the intake on the 250 is part of the head casting.
Now if that was an old Hemi, it would be buried gold :rolleyes:

It ran good when we pulled it and droped it into the hole.Im mostly just wanted to see if anyone had ever done anything like this.I think I will play with it and see if I can get it cleaned up.[P[;):cool:

Like my Granddaddy always said,"if it's mechanical, it CAN be fixed". You've got to tear it down, see what's useable and what needs to be replaced. If the cylinders are badly pitted, maybe boring isn't enough. A set of sleeves will fix it. If the crank is all rusted up, you'd probably have to find another crank that's useable. Bottom line is: If you've got plenty of cash, it CAN be made runable. Tear it down and see. If nothing else, you've got about $20 in scrap for your trouble.

For what it's worth, It came out of a 70 Mavrick not a 72.The old Mavrick was my high school hot rod and my first car.It was also the first car I ever wrenched on.[P[;):cool:

I think those used the 200 6 in them....

For what it's worth, It came out of a 70 Mavrick not a 72.The old Mavrick was my high school hot rod and my first car.It was also the first car I ever wrenched on.[P[;):cool:

Like was said, depending on the amount of rust and crude in the cylinder and such, might be possible......[S

I will go ahead and ask the question everyone has to be wondering; why did you bury an engine the the yard???:confused:

I was surprised...

It was a one owner car that I got when I was 15.It came from the factory with a 250/auto.[P[;):cool:

Yep, 250 was a midyear option in 1970 and remained through production.. my bad....had to run really good with those 100 horses...LOL.. probably why you buried it? Just kidding... wish I could remember all the stuff we did at 16....:D

It was wimpy.We replaced it with an old wore out 302 that was not much better but it did sound good with the cherry bomb mufflers we put on it.Makes me long for the days when things were simple and fun.[P[;):cool:

My slant on it is that unless you have a GOOD flow of cash, you'd be better off finding a running 350 or anything else. What you'll spend on machine work and new parts will dwarf a running used V8 would cost. I'd rather put the cash saved into other required running gear than reminisce about a lame straight six that came out of the dirt. After all, when a Honda blows your doors off, are you gonna think "Yeah, but I dug up this engine!" ??

My slant on it is that unless you have a GOOD flow of cash, you'd be better off finding a running 350 or anything else. What you'll spend on machine work and new parts will dwarf a running used V8 would cost. I'd rather put the cash saved into other required running gear than reminisce about a lame straight six that came out of the dirt. After all, when a Honda blows your doors off, are you gonna think "Yeah, but I dug up this engine!" ??

I have no plans for using this engine in a rat or anything else and if I want a v8 I will get a 302 or 351, not a 350. Im a Ford fan All the way.Thank you for your comments.;);):rolleyes:

So do I.... the older I get the easier I like it....lol

It was wimpy.We replaced it with an old wore out 302 that was not much better but it did sound good with the cherry bomb mufflers we put on it.Makes me long for the days when things were simple and fun.[P[;):cool:

thats why the old Sarge is not known to get excited about loud exhaust and modified suspensions, tinted windows and all the other custom things "kids" (anyone under 35) do to their rides...... God did I drive the cops nutz when I was young....LOL but they always treated me good... so that is how I ride....:D

thats why the old Sarge is not known to get excited about loud exhaust and modified suspensions, tinted windows and all the other custom things "kids" (anyone under 35) do to their rides...... God did I drive the cops nutz when I was young....LOL but they always treated me good... so that is how I ride....:D

Flipping the air pan over and cherry bomb mufflers were all we knew.Jacked up in the back and some wide tires were a must too_Our hot rods sucked but we thought we were cool.:cool::cool:

Latest posts

Back