Fore! Golf cart to mini rod #2

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mailman brought some goodies today, vintage bakelite industrial gauges I found on ebay. I changed the dash panel to fill in the left side glove box I took from the golf cart donor - it just looked too goofy. I'll probably make a glovebox lid for the other side to finish it off better..
I'm only going to hook up the volt meter, the others are just for looks - the decibel meter [S ?! is kinda funky, navy type instrument.

Attachments

• DSC01491 z.jpg
    DSC01491 z.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01491.jpg
    DSC01491.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01490.jpg
    DSC01490.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01489.jpg
    DSC01489.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 37
Hook a microphone up to the decible meter and put it somewhere. the noiseyer the suroundings the more the decible meeter will bounce around! [cl

After a couple weeks of body work, I got a coat of primer on the body parts. Fingers are kinda raw from sanding but more to do yet - spot filling flaws, divots and sanding marks then blocking it all again, more priming, painting in about a week hopefully. Usually I would paint up the chassis first, but I want to get the body off to the upholstery shop to get the top done and the interior panels, seats.

Attachments

• DSC01495.jpg
    DSC01495.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01492.jpg
    DSC01492.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01494.jpg
    DSC01494.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 36
Powered into the sanding, second coat of primer, more sanding, then today shot the color, PPG Vanilla Shake. Original plan was to do gold but changed to this color choice after looking for something in this range to use on my Packard project, very close to the original 30's color. For contrast, the top and interior will be dark brown.
Finally my garage floor has changed from the black that's been on there since I painted my 34 Cadillac :).

Attachments

• DSC01497.jpg
    DSC01497.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01499.jpg
    DSC01499.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01503.jpg
    DSC01503.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01504.jpg
    DSC01504.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 73
The gold would have been nice but THAT will be really sweet with the dark brown! [dr The body turned out great, if someone was just looking at this post they wouldn't have a clue that this thing is miniature. [cl[cl

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Funny how things can change in just one day....

Does this sound familiar to anyone ??
Wife wants to pick paint color, loves it, nothing else will do :)
After seeing the custom mixed color on the body - not so sure :(
Next morning she hates it, it's ugly, get rid of it, won't be seen dead in it :mad:

I should have known better after painting the garage door 3 times because the perfect color wasn't perfect... :confused:

Long sad story short - Vanilla Shake is out...........

So this is todays reality, leftover black from the 34 Caddy.
Wife is happy again..:)

Not without its problems though, some wicked orange peel to sand out and a couple hideous runs........ who said life was easy.

Garage floor is back to black too...

Attachments

• DSC01507.jpg
    DSC01507.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01510.jpg
    DSC01510.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01516.jpg
    DSC01516.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 56
The gold would have been nice but THAT will be really sweet with the dark brown! [dr

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Funny how things can change in just one day....

Does this sound familiar to anyone ??
Wife wants to pick paint color, loves it, nothing else will do :)
After seeing the custom mixed color on the body - not so sure :(
Next morning she hates it, it's ugly, get rid of it, won't be seen dead in it :mad:

I should have known better after painting the garage door 3 times because the perfect color wasn't perfect... :confused:

Long sad story short - Vanilla Shake is out...........

Yeah, well I never liked it anyways. [ddd
You could paint that thing with horse manure and it'd still be awesome! :p
Hope you find the perfect color. :cool:

In the end, you are doing all the work... and you should decide*. She will probably change her mind again.

Your creation will look good what ever color you decide on. Personally I think off-white and black are both better choices than gold.

* Full disclosure, this idea of "he who does the work, gets to make the decisions" has gotten me in to trouble many times.

Latest posts

Back