Fore! Golf cart to mini rod #2

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello ZZ.
Awesome man! You're wasting your time thinking about going golfing in that thing, aren't you. When you can build like that you shouldn't drift off track to whack an irritating little ball into the bush all the time. [ddd
O.K. I'm done my rant now. Awesome car.

Made the frame for the glass from 1/2" square tubing with one side sliced off. It's mounted with tabs and screws to the posts and top bar. I'll use urethane adhesive when assembling it, glue the glass into the lower and side channels, stick the top channel on and install it in the frame, hopefully not getting the urethane stuck on everything (like usual :()
Glued up some oak pieces that will get carved into the rear cab surround that the lower edge of the top will attach to, some whittling to be done there....

Attachments

• DSC01409.jpg
    DSC01409.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01414.jpg
    DSC01414.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01410.jpg
    DSC01410.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 74
Excellent windshield frame. The overall look of the body is perfect. Is that belt line piece inside the door just a brace? And, would you take a close up of the hinge installation? thanks.
Bob

Did some wood work today, whittled the rear cab surround piece into shape and mounted it with screws from underneath. Also made the header over the front window, screwed to the frame. Made the first top bow, working on getting the position and angle right. This will be a fixed top, I don't have the patience to figure out the complexities of a folding one.

Attachments

• DSC01417.jpg
    DSC01417.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01418.jpg
    DSC01418.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01419.jpg
    DSC01419.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01416.jpg
    DSC01416.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 60
Excellent windshield frame. The overall look of the body is perfect. Is that belt line piece inside the door just a brace? And, would you take a close up of the hinge installation? thanks.
Bob

I guess you could say the belt line is a brace as it is part of the door after all the welding. Here's some pics of the hinges, pretty simple stuff, I used stainless ones 'cause they wont' rust inside the joint, door gap is adjusted by shimming the body mounts. Another neat feature is that they just lift off, like a Jeep. These ones are about 2" long, there are larger ones available.

Attachments

• DSC01422.jpg
    DSC01422.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01420.jpg
    DSC01420.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01423.jpg
    DSC01423.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 73
Made up the rest of the top bows, had to make a compromise between looking kool and not banging my head on them or having to drive like a hunchback...

Attachments

• DSC01424.jpg
    DSC01424.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01428.jpg
    DSC01428.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01426.jpg
    DSC01426.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01431.jpg
    DSC01431.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 77
I live right outside The Villages and my primary daytime vehicle for working s a golf cart. I would kill to be driving that around all day instead of a standard club car!:D

I live right outside The Villages and my primary daytime vehicle for working s a golf cart. I would kill to be driving that around all day instead of a standard club car!:D

I agree that is much better than a standard cart!! If it would get up to 40-45 I would cruise that instead of a regular car! except for long distances of course, but my 9 mile drive to work absolutely!

I agree that is much better than a standard cart!! If it would get up to 40-45 I would cruise that instead of a regular car! except for long distances of course, but my 9 mile drive to work absolutely!

If I only had a 10 mile (or less) commute, I would be driving a ground shaking hot rod as a daily driver!

If I only had a 10 mile (or less) commute, I would be driving a ground shaking hot rod as a daily driver!

Now that I work close to home and, ah.... have a company car (*cough* cruiser *cough*), my daily is my 88 3500 4x4 chevy truck. 4:10 gears and TH400 = 10 mpg if I am lucky. I think I put $30 worth of gas in it every month! [cl

My last cart does 17 - 18 mph, up from the stock 11 mph, due to the larger tires. This one's tires are 3" taller yet so I expect to hit 20. Motor and controller upgrades push a stock 48V Club car to 25 mph or more so that would get this one over 30. There are also hi-speed gears available so 40 mph is not out of reach [ddd. Of course at these speeds, those wimpy little rear drum brakes become an safety issue.:eek:

Rubbed off the surface rust and rolled it outside for some sunshine pix :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01442.jpg
    DSC01442.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC01441.jpg
    DSC01441.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC01437.jpg
    DSC01437.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01445.jpg
    DSC01445.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01447.jpg
    DSC01447.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 74

Doubt that if you knew the type of roads we have around here.... and the fact that you would be parking it in a lot that gets glass dust blown out in it occasionally. I prefer to drive my old Chebby pick-up

My last cart does 17 - 18 mph, up from the stock 11 mph, due to the larger tires. This one's tires are 3" taller yet so I expect to hit 20. Motor and controller upgrades push a stock 48V Club car to 25 mph or more so that would get this one over 30. There are also hi-speed gears available so 40 mph is not out of reach [ddd. Of course at these speeds, those wimpy little rear drum brakes become an safety issue.:eek:

Rubbed off the surface rust and rolled it outside for some sunshine pix :cool:

big tires and hi-speed gears I would be worried about current draw and motor temps. After that then yes I would worry about the brakes also. But then you get a better controller that is set up for regenerative braking so you allso get to use the motor for brakes........... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back