Friday Night in North St. Paul

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Zach getting heat from Johnny Law? Because he doesn't have to run the front plate because of the vehicle age.

7-16NoStPaul001.jpg

It was hot & humid tonight and the Car Craft Nationals is at the fairgrounds so North St. Paul was not quite as crowded. My 19 year old grandson, Zach, showed up with his '38 GMC that we built over the last 3 years.

We put the plate on because the DMV gave him 2 plates. I told Zach that his truck is very recognizable, especially by the police. If they see him driving properly they will give him a "thumbs up". If he screws around and some motorist calls the police about the "funny little truck' that is driving too fast, etc. They will watch him and wait for him to mess up.
No doubt you are right Todd. But all cops don't know the law. My Wednesday lunch buddy, Farmer Don got tagged for no front plate on a collector plate. The cop wouldn't believe him that the DMV only gave him one plate. It took some effort to get the ticket voided.
Since Zach's truck is missing a few safety items, we felt it was best to put the plate on to avoid a stop by an uninformed cop.

thanks for the updates.. you guys did great on your grandsons truck, but i am partial to those cabs!

That is probably good. When I had blue dots on the last hot rod, I carried a copy of the statute in the glove box.

Trailer010.jpg

A few more from North St. Paul tonight. Unfortunately this weekly show isn't very "rat infested".

This rat would be really cool with a small block Chevy in it.:D

Trailer011.jpg

This coupe is owned by Mick Kiefer who until recently made appearances as "Andy of Mayberry" He bears a remarkable resemblance to Andy Grifith and has a squad car that is identical to the one in the show. Mick is in ill health and can no longer perform as Andy.

Trailer005.jpg

Here's a Model A RPU with a little V8 60hp. It belongs to Gary Anderson, another one of my Wednesday lunch buddies.
My fiberglass roadster is cowering behind this original steel machine.

Nice additions Bob W. I agree, that 33/34 looks like a something from the 70's "resto-rod" era. Lots of chrome wires and cowl lights going on back then.

I was wondering about the Mayberry act. I used to see him and his car regularly in car show coverage but it seemed to abruptly stop.

Trailer014.jpg

A set of American 5 spokes are all this truck needs to be kool.

CF68, 6 blocks of 7th Ave. are blocked off for the show. Cars spill out onto the side streets and all the nearby parking lots. Theres probably 25 or more food vendors. 7th Ave is the main drag in NSP. Go east on Hwy 36 to Century Ave. Turn south (right) a couple blocks to 7th Ave.

I need to pay better attention, always thought Mick was playing Barney. You just got to nip it, nip in the bud.

Latest posts

Back