Front 4 link vs hair pins...?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

IT'S TIME TO START PLANNING THE NEXT ONE...
HAVE A DROP AXLE AND A TRANSVERSE SPRING ON A MODEL A FRAME.
HERES THE QUESTION, IF I GO WITH THE 4 LINK W A PANHARD WILL I NOT GET A BETTER HANDELING/BETTER RIDING CAR?
I WOULD VENTURE THAT THE HAIRPINS WOULD BE EASIER, BUT IV NEVER BEEN THE ONE TO DO MUCH OF ANYTHING EASY (OR SENSABLE) BEFORE IN MY LIFE, WHY START NOW... [ddev

THNX D/B

You may not need a panhard bar, it depends mostly on your steering set up. A typical 4 link style front end is set up so close to hairpins, in the end that the handeling is about the same. The advantage is in setting up the caster. While both are built with 6 degrees, of caster, you can fine tune a four link and adjust it without changing the mount at the frame, like you would with hairpins. The other advantage is in the arc of movement. The caster stays closer through the cycle with 4 link over hairpins. However, there is so little movement it would be hard to tell the difference.

I used hair pins cause they look more olskool than a street rod looking 4 link . I also have cross steer , but still used a panhard bar . Pan hard was cheap to buy easy to install and looks ok . See no reason to skip using one . Also don't go cheap on your shocks , after 4 years of not really being happy with my ride I changed to a pair of Billsteins . Difference between nite and day . Wish I had done it from day one . Got them thru a guy on the HAMB . He calls them the front end problem magic bullet . Look here

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609140&highlight=bilstein+shocks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back