Gas mileage??? Caddy vs BBC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I'm going to get a work truck... something that can haul a trailer now and then. I found a 77 GMC with a BBC 427 in it. I may be able to trade straight up for my pos Hyundai. I also have a buddy with a 61 panel truck with a Cadillac 472 in it with under 50,000 miles and lots of new parts (he want's $3000). The 77 GMC is very straight and being a paint and body guy I can get it looking pretty sweet on the outside. My question for the BBC is would it be worth it to put some money into the motor (new aluminum heads, intake, carb, ect.) or should I go with the Caddy (that I know nothing about yet)?...........

or should I just say screw it and find something newer? This will be my work truck and will get driven a bit. Hows the gas mileage? Caddy 472 -vs- BBC 427

Is the 427 a tall deck truck motor? Great for building a stroker....sucks as is. Big heavy pistons in stock form.

If its a 427 car motor, that is a whole different story. A 427 car motors were high performance.

I don't think either motor should be discussed in the same sentence with fuel economy. I'm betting 9-10 mpg tops with either one. We had a 70 Caddy Sedan Deville, it got 10 mpg whether going up hill, down hill, towing a boat, or not. It just didn't matter. I don't think the Chevy would be much better.

Don

Not looking to make any road trips, but was just curious about mileage between the two I mentioned. So you say they get about the same? Is one better than the other to beef up and resale... or put in one of my rods?

Is the 427 a tall deck truck motor? Great for building a stroker....sucks as is. Big heavy pistons in stock form.

If its a 427 car motor, that is a whole different story. A 427 car motors were high performance.

Is there an easy way to tell? Not too familiar with the 427 yet.

Fuel mileage

You just have to see my rat has a 408 nailhead and the car weighs 3000 lbs i can get more than 20mpg on the hi way. I had a 77 suburban with 350 granny 4 speed 6 inch lift 38.5 super swampers and got 18mpg it is in the way you are set up. Gears trans carb. My Hudson i am hopeing for 25 mpg when it is done.

Latest posts

Back