GM to vintage ford wire wheel adapter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Hi guys not shure where to post this , So i picked up a tci ibeam style front end with disk brakes . wondering if it there is anything out there to adapt old school ford 19 inch wire wheels to it.Without hitting the caliper thanks.D

The Model A wheels will have at least a 5 1/2 inch bolt diameter pattern and your hubs may not so you'll have to get adapters to change studbolt patterns and those adapters will be at least 3/4" aluminum, so the clearance should be taken care of by then.

Looks like Speedway sells them ill put an order in .
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bille...el-Adapters-4-3-4-5-1-2-Inch-5-Lug,94214.html

I see some guys use motorcycle tires on early ford 19" wheels anybody have any other suggestions coker probably has early ford 19"chers.
any picks of rods with motorcycle tires on early ford rims.

opp,s any idea why it says not for use with early ford wire wheels shheeet........

Early wire spoke rims have to seat up against a drum that supports the entire wheel center. They will bolt to a later 5 1/2 bolt circle hub, but if the hub just rides within the wheel center (like a lot of the later smaller diameter drums and all disc brake hubs) the wheel center will fatigue from the constant flexing and fail. Speedway has backing discs just for this problem. Item # 91065470

Attachments

• 91065470_L.jpg
    91065470_L.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
Looks like Speedway sells them ill put an order in .
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bille...el-Adapters-4-3-4-5-1-2-Inch-5-Lug,94214.html

I see some guys use motorcycle tires on early ford 19" wheels anybody have any other suggestions coker probably has early ford 19"chers.
any picks of rods with motorcycle tires on early ford rims.

opp,s any idea why it says not for use with early ford wire wheels shheeet........

It specifically says not for use on early ford wire wheels.

I have wanted to run the 19 inch wires since day one and have done so much research and they are currently still on my truck (not driving yet). That I am not going to run the wires now. I'm not saying it can't be done but it is not worth the hassle to try and get it to work. Just my opinion. If you are just looking for tall skinny rims look at spare rims for Mercedes and Jags. Even range rover they make 19x4 aluminum rims that are spoke style.

Hi thx thing was I have a pile of wire wheels here so was thinkin of using them but guess ill forget that idea for now thanks guys.

It specifically says not for use on early ford wire wheels.

I have wanted to run the 19 inch wires since day one and have done so much research and they are currently still on my truck (not driving yet). That I am not going to run the wires now. I'm not saying it can't be done but it is not worth the hassle to try and get it to work. Just my opinion. If you are just looking for tall skinny rims look at spare rims for Mercedes and Jags. Even range rover they make 19x4 aluminum rims that are spoke style.

Yeah, but if you run them along with the adapter sniper noted you should be okay running the wires. Or you can buy some adapters that are out there that do both adapt the pattern and support the wires at the same time. I have a friend running those.

I went with spacers and the speedway wire support piece on our coupe, so I could run wires on the back and up front with Buick drums and have spacers that could be used if needed for something other than wires, thought it gave me more options down the road.

But regarding running motorcycle tires..... I doubt that is a good idea, I don't think they are designed to hold the load on the sidewall that the weight of a car would put on them in a turn? I know that coker tires aren't cheap, but it wouldn't be cheap repairing the effect of blowing a tire in a turn.

But regarding running motorcycle tires..... I doubt that is a good idea, I don't think they are designed to hold the load on the sidewall that the weight of a car would put on them in a turn? I know that coker tires aren't cheap, but it wouldn't be cheap repairing the effect of blowing a tire in a turn.

You're right, they're designed for leaning into turns, not supporting the weight of a vehicle in them.

Latest posts

Back