Goldwing roll call, and opinions wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Have the opportunity to pick up an '87 goldwing aspencade for next to nothing.
Any of you who seen my projects, know that I have a hard time not cutting anything up.......or finishing projects :rolleyes::rolleyes:
However, this thing is in darn good shape.

Owner had paid his brother in law to "fix" a hesitation in the carbs. BIL started taking off every panel on the thing, presumable trying to figure out how to remove the carbs.
Never got anywhere with it further than that.
I charged a battery and headed over to see if I could get it to fire. It hasn't run in 8 years.
Hooked up a couple random wire connectors that went to god knows what, cranked it over (this is really all I was expecting, just to make sure it wasn't frozen), sprayed in some starting fluid and it fired right up!

So, for $850 I can drag this beast home, rebuild the carbs, and probably sport it for the summer with the wife.

Here's my thinking, (both include riding as is for the summer):
1) leave it totally factory, clean the crap out of it, Repaint it and sell it for a profit.
2) break out the torch, grinder, snag some stretched bagger bags, change out the faring to something a little more fun, strip the bells and whistles and make a wanna be bagger out of it, and possible make a profit after having fun with it.

Thoughts?
I'm pretty certain all the goldwing owners here will tell me I'm crazy for thinking of cutting up a perfectly good touring bike, but still interested in opinions.

photo-189.jpg

photo-188.jpg

I think you should take off all the touring stuff and sell that. lower it .....OH CHOP IT! They are ready available around here for about what you paid for it, so why not? when they are bagged and chopped with a single seat they ride really nice and you can ride them all day long.

Just leave it as is, ride it all summer, then sell it. That way, you have nothing in it except gas and a few parts.............

i have a all factory stock 1982 gl1100, i'm thinking about selling. i'll try to get pics. it's only got a windshield and hard saddle bags.

i would put it back together and drive it.
why not?
it isnt like you have no projects or anything.:D[;)[ddd

i would love to have an old fart cruiser like that.
i would probably take it on a road trip

See Oldwing.....

Its a GL1000 that I started cutting the crap out of. Never finished it yet though.

And this is where the name comes from :D

I started into mine this weekend. Pulled the carbs and started rebuilding, they were/are way gummy!
Figured while I was at it I might as well peek into the tank.
:eek::eek::eek:

photo-192.jpg

So, off to buy some vinegar. Crap costs about as much as a tank of fuel :eek: and I can't burn it off in the engine once done with it :rolleyes:

It's been sitting for 24 hours now. Think I'll let it sit another 24 before pulling it out.

The fuel sender wasn't working either, so put that back in the tank to let the vinegar go to town on it. It's working now :D

Last edited:
i would put it back together and drive it.
why not?
it isnt like you have no projects or anything.:D[;)[ddd

i would love to have an old fart cruiser like that.
i would probably take it on a road trip

I think that's the plan now. Get it running and ride it this summer. Talked the wife into getting on the back of it with me (she doesn't trust me much with her life :rolleyes:). If she likes riding it, I'll strip it down this next winter, paint it something other than red, all the chrome gets removed and powder coated black, cut down the windsheild a bit and call it good.

my wife wants a scooter and i walked into a bike place yesterday and started looking over the lil scooters.
but then through no fault of my own
i was standing in front of a Valkyrie dresser.
i want that freakin bike![dr

Latest posts

Back