Goodbye to a friend.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Nobody died, but this week I made a big decision. Dan and I went to the Street Rod Nationals in Tampa, and..............I sold my 23 T.

I started thinking about it a week ago because of several things. First of all, we are out of room in our shop and my 23 has been encroaching on Don's area for the past 3 years since I got it done. To work on his stuff he has to move it outside every time, and that isn't very fair to him. Secondly, how many roadsters does one person need? My 27 is almost done and I have had that car for over 20 years, so I would never part with it. Finally, my Honda daily driver is starting to become problematic............it has been flawless up until the last few months, but then everything started going bad on it. Time to replace it, and the money from the 23 will help out there.

It was a VERY hard decision, and Dan was trying to talk me out of it right up until it sold. Don, on the other hand, doesn't have the same attachment to his cars, and seems to get a new one every year or so. He understood why I had made this decision and supported it.

So, today we drove to Tampa in the T for the last time, and put a for sale sign on it. By 11:00 a guy called me and wanted to talk. He made me an offer, and it was just lower than I had in mind, so I had to say no. Then a guy comes walking up and says "I see what you are asking for the T, and you are WAY underpriced, your car is worth a whole lot more." (I couldn't have scripted it better if I had paid the guy. ) So the guy who offered me the money agreed to meet my price, and we shook hands. He paid me and is picking it up next week. Another guy came up and wanted to give me a deposit right there, but the first guy had already bought it. I prefer to keep the final price between me and the new owner, but he got a good car at a good price, and I was ok with my portion.

Driving home was kind of a happy yet sad affair. I know some people turn their cars over like dirty laundry, but I don't. I become very attached to these dumb steel toys, and surprised myself in even considering selling it.

But, as soon as my 27 is done (should take a few more weeks) I want to dig into the 29 RPU based on the body Dan gave me when his project took another direction. The Olds engine and TH 350 transmission are all built and ready to install, so I only need to get some of Dan and Dons time to crank out another frame so I can get this one going.

Sorry for the lengthy story, and thanks for reading it.

Don

sanibelpictures014-1.jpg

I know exactly how you feel, but you did what you felt was right and at least you got what you were asking!!![cl...CR

Don,
I know the feeling & although it's a lil sad... it gave me a chance to be more focused on my current project. But then again... my car wasn't the chick magnet yours was!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Even in a tight economy, high quality sells. As you have just proven. Now you have seed money to advance the other projects.

The new owner is a lucky guy. But you'll soon be back on the road in that beautiful '27.

But then again... my car wasn't the chick magnet yours was!!!

Yeah, a lot of good that did ME, Bob. :rolleyes::D I bet the girl that modeled in it has never known how far her picture has gone on the internet! :D

I can't lie, it was really bittersweet when the guy actually said "Well, I guess I just bought your car!" :eek: That darned thing ended up being a pretty good car, even this morning going to Tampa it ran right down the road and brought us back home too. It gave me a lot of pleasure, and was well received by most people who saw it. I hope the new owner takes good care of it.:) He is a nice guy and I'm happy to see it go to him.

Don

Even in a tight economy, high quality sells. As you have just proven. Now you have seed money to advance the other projects.

The new owner is a lucky guy. But you'll soon be back on the road in that beautiful '27.

What he said!!! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

They are more than "dumb steel toys". Your cars reflect your personality, care for detail, and high level of workmanship. It's no wonder that you felt a bit sad, you put your heart and soul into them. :)

Well well Don,I'm sort of disappionted,sad and mad at you. There is always other options that you could of followed first,eg. sell the crapper japper honda, sell Don Jrs. boat, heck get Dan and Don Jr to get you a larger workshop, but no you sold the best looking T Bucket in the States.[S And you didn't haul that chevy out of it and replaced it with one of those common ford engines. You are always saying how hot it is down in your area,the bucket could of been your daily ride. Oh well,over time I think I can forgive you and I hope the new owner is local so you can keep tabs on your under $3000.00 build that cost just a little more.:)

Thanks guys for the nice comments. No, I usually keep my stuff forever. In fact, I often said if someone wanted to buy it there wasn't enough money. But for once I made a decision with my head, rather than my heart.

It just makes good sense. Let's face it, I'm 65 and do have another hot rod that is about ready to use, so why should I be feeling bad. But, as mentioned, we do put ourselves into a car and view them as more than objects. I sure had to drive home carefully yesterday because I sure didn't want anything to happen to someone else's car. Thank God we made it and it is tucked away safely until he picks it up this week.

Don

I've saw your car on various forums usually with a caption of "This is what i have in mind". I've always thought that it is on cool little roadster.

sanibelpictures014-1.jpg

It was definitely one of the coolest '23-style buckets I have seen in a long time.
It is hard to pull off "the look" with those bodies IMO and you nailed it.
Oh well, on to bigger and better things!

Wow, this news sure comes as a surprise. I am glad that once you made the decision to sell your car, it went quickly and didn't linger on. I am having similar issues......one of mine has to go and will be for sale shortly. I hope it sells as quickly as youes did. PS-Thanks for the percentage for walking up and telling you your car was under priced.[ddd

Kinda funny, but I always thought of that car AS you. Now I don't know what you look like? Guess it's an internet thing - since I've never seen most of you guys, your cars become you in my mind. Weird.

Hope the new owner does right.

Hehe, I'm the same way, I know people by their cars, rather than by their faces.:D

Thanks everyone for making me feel better. I did enjoy the h*** out of this little car, and it never left me down. I drove it to Daytona three times, to Garlits place twice, and to the Billetproof Drags one time, so it had some highway miles on it. Only a couple of minor things, like a brake light switch, but for the most part super reliable and a blast to drive.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear you might be parting with one of yours.........hope it isn't the Deuce. :(

Before I took it to Tampa I did remove two items I wanted to keep. Dan had bought me a Lucky Lady shift knob that was on it, and I had a "No Club...Lone Wolf" license plate frame that I have owned for about 20 years, so those items I kept for other projects. Moved the license plate over to the 27 last night, and should have that one on the road by the end of the month, I hope.

Again guys, thank you very much for the nice words and comments.

Don

Latest posts

Back