Hey MadDog - electrolysis question for ya

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Mad Dog (or others), what is your set up?

I read in another post you take grease and paint off with electrolysis. I've used it many times, but I didn't think gunk came off really. Then again, I usually clean the parts as good as possible before I tank em. I use a 2/6/75 amp charger with a large storage container and old furnace vents as my conductors. Works great!

Think it would take of Bondo?

It will most defenatly take off thick caked grease. I dont even bother to scrap them. Just put them in, it all comes off. It will lift pealing chrome.

It might take off bondo, I gotta try that. Dont know for sure. It releases things that are attached to the surface, wont lift good chrome, so if the bondo is studk real good, it might not.

Let us know if you try it.

Yeah, if I ever get the chance to try the Bondo, I'll post the results. I redid my headers this spring (1/2 at a time) because the paint wasn't as heat proof as claimed - the good paint did not come off with electro. It did take the loose stuff off. It takes off chrome from aluminum, but pits the exposed aluminum real quick - don't know how safe any fumes are from that either.

So what kind of power source do you use - how many amps? I just use an old charger set at 12 volts/6 amps.

I use a 6 amp battery charger, sometimes 2 amp is ok and sometimes I use 20 amps. I know of a guy that did a trailer frame in a makeshift pool and he used a welding power supply.

Whats needed? Google "rust removal with electrylisis" (but spell it correctly:eek:)

Basicly-
plastic container, baking soda or washing soda (also by Arm & Hammer) a battery charger, some steel rods (connected to positive on the charger) and a rusty part (connected to negitive on the charger)

Dont let the part touch the rods and dont mix up the wires because you will super rust your part:eek:

The rods are organized around the perimiter of the plastic container (3,4,5 however many you want. Sam used furnace vents.

Scrape clean the rods every couple days, they work better.

Dont use stainless rods, puts chromium in the water and is toxic.

Aluminum doesnt work the same way because it doesnt rust. The process takes the surface off and will eat it up completly very quickly.

Steel stuff is usually clean in a day or two.
Wash with 3m pad and water or pressure washer when you take it out.
Dry completely with shop air immediatly or it will rust again.

The process works by line of site from the rod(s) to the rusty part.
Sometimes you have to re-position the part to get hidden surfaces.

The water gets real gooky but never goes bad.

The process seperates the H from the 2O in the H2O and is visible in little bubles. I have put a torch directly in the bubbles and no BOOM, I just had to know. I have also put my hands in the water often and sometimes I feel the little tingle but no problem.

Read the article in Rod & Kulture #15 (current issue)

Let me know how it works for you.

The process seperates the H from the 2O in the H2O and is visible in little bubles. I have put a torch directly in the bubbles and no BOOM, I just had to know. I have also put my hands in the water often and sometimes I feel the little tingle but no problem.

:eek:You were the kid that held on to fire crackers too long weren't you?! :D Always wondered about getting my hands in the water.

I've also heard that it can cause metal embrittlement (sp), BUT heat or time are supposed to cure that. I did the front motor mount on my Y-Block V8 - never had a problem with it yet.

:eek:You were the kid that held on to fire crackers too long weren't you?! :D

Actually, if you hold the fire cracker between the nails of your forefinger and thumb right at the very bitter end of the fire cracker, you dont even have to let go and you dont feel anything. :D Give it a try.:D

Trust me, what could go wrong?:eek:

Actually, if you hold the fire cracker between the nails of your forefinger and thumb right at the very bitter end of the fire cracker, you dont even have to let go and you dont feel anything. :D Give it a try.:D

Trust me, what could go wrong?:eek:

Sometimes you can just tell...:rolleyes:

:eek:You were the kid that held on to fire crackers too long weren't you?! :D Always wondered about getting my hands in the water.

I've also heard that it can cause metal embrittlement (sp), BUT heat or time are supposed to cure that. I did the front motor mount on my Y-Block V8 - never had a problem with it yet.

I think it was the 9 volt bttery that he checked for voltage with his tonge.

Latest posts

Back