Hmm, Why Is It Leaking?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverickmk

Rebel Rodder
So a coworker of mine that is not very mechanical asked me to see if I could figure out why he has a coolant leak. I had him start it up and immediately saw it was leaking at the front cross over port on the intake manifold at the head. So naturally I get the dubious job of fixing it. I pull the intake off and this is what I find . . .

This is how it's supposed to look . . .

I told him I'll RTV the heck out of it so he can take it to the nearest dealership & trade it in.

So if you are looking for a cheap S-10 in Central Florida, avoid a two tone black/grey extended cab with 200,XXX miles on it ;)

I'm toying with buying it from him. The body isn't too bad, but I don't know what else I would do with it. It runs like a champ and has a 5 speed. Wonder how hard it would be to try & put a straight axle on the front? [S

For those of you who might not know, that's caused by not tending to your coolant. Antifreeze really never looses it's ability to not freeze but the rust and corrosion inhibitors break down. Then the coolant becomes acidic. Aluminum and iron together and acid, same thing as a battery and electrolysis sets in and eats the aluminum. Ral easy to test the ph or even easier yet, use your volt meter. Ground one lead and drop the other one in the coolant. Any reading near .150 volt (dc setting) and you need a flush&fill. I'd bet good money the antifreeze in that engine was 10 years old.

Latest posts

Back