Hodge Podge Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On that Freight Shaker grill, could you take the middle set of grill bars out of it? That would give you about 30 to 32 inches wide.

Been looking at this a little more, and my buddy Larry saw it for the first time yesterday, and he has a band saw! So yeah, kenny, I like your idea, and thinking if it was cut at an angle and made into a mild 'V' shape, it would look cool as heck! Shorten it a bit and then pop some old headlights on each side ... BAM !!! Also thinking no front bumper, but maybe something like '50s Cadillac bumperettes on the end of each frame rail? Hmmm...

Also went out for one more go at the come-along, but it's 93 outside, and even with the industrial fan blowing on me, it's just too much. Besides, time to clean up and go take care of the folks. The body is about halfway up the ramps, so an earlier start tomorrow and it should be in place! Of course there will be more pics and update as things progress. Larry says, "That thing is gonna look cool, man!" I quite agree! A more solid idea of what to do with the front end, and thinking a two level wooden deck in the back; one right behind the cab for a tool box and military style gas cans, "beverage cooler" and such, and a higher one behind that for a work area/observation deck/ party pavilion! LOL :D

Last edited:
On the way home tonight I saw a white extra cab Dodge pulling a trailer with a primer red rat rod pickup that was just too cool! Red wheels with caps, chopped top, low and with 8 straight pipes sticking out the side and an old school blower scoop on top of the carb, no plate on it and no tail lights yet. Looked like a project in progress (anyone from here?). Pulled up next to the guy after checking it out thoroughly and almost running into the car in front of me at the stoplight, and only got next to him on the freeway. Yelled out "That's cool man!" and thumbs up! Thumbs up back from a Hispanic fellow in his 30s (I would guess). Inspiration, and honestly one of the first and best I have actually seen "in person." Not sure what kind of cab it was, but had a beautiful style line along the side of it. Could have been a '40s Chevy? It was flippin' GORGEOUS !!! :)

So close! Edged it a little more toward where it needs to go ...

P6280169_zps8d02be47.jpg

Had to get it higher to clear the gas tank and get a better angle for clearance ...

P6280168_zps3f2c6da0.jpg

As you can see, had to put some more boards underneath and use floor jacks to lift the palette. It's a slow process, but maybe tomorrow I can get it nearer!? I think the engine hoist method will come into play when I get it close enough to grab onto the "cradle." But as for today, ...

Ran off to look at a 1970 International pickup that has been sitting a long time. Fairly complete and ran a week ago on starting fluid, but needs to be totally gone through as far as fluids and brakes, and NO TITLE, which really killed it for me. Besides, I have enough going on right now and need to get away from the tendency to take on too much at once and become overwhelmed. For once, made a GOOD decision! ;)

By the way, how do you guys mount body to chassis? The stock mounts are going to be pretty useless in this case, and curious if I should use some sort of rubber donuts that I have from dismantle or just bolt it onto the frame. Are those donuts merely for ride "comfort" and noise dampening? Or serve a more useful purpose ...

FWIW I have the OEM cab and bed mount donuts, if that matters.

Last edited:
HAHA! You're welcome. Sometimes simple just stares us in the face the 2 or 3 times we try something before the aha comes.

Boy, ain't THAT the truth! This slide-it-up-the-ramps method is a piece of cake compared to the hair-brain "ideas" of lifting the thing. Mind you it IS taking a little longer than levitation or My Favorite Martian could have done. ;)

In place! Well, sorta ...

Alrighty boys and girls, the moment you have been waiting for! (or not. LOL)

Pulled the body up the ramps about as far as the come-along would go, then had to jack up the frame a bit to slide the engine hoist underneath, move the ropes and lift the body - kinda tipsy at first, but closer to position:

P6290170_zps5a7d060e.jpg

Had all kinds of boards and blocks and floor jacks for safety, not only for myself, but that precious cab!

P6290171_zps3f0fa7df.jpg

Up and down a few times to get a level grip on the palette and cab, and didn't take any pics because I was on a roll, then into place and lots of block and board due to clearance issues with the gas tank, trans, etc:

P6290172_zps5a462909.jpg

P6290173_zps8931b0d2.jpg

Palette removed and sitting on blocks and boards now:

P6290174_zps2fd4988a.jpg

This is the driver side where the gas tank is. 4x6 supporting the cab is sitting on the old body mount, which is about 2" below the top of the frame:

P6290175_zps77941c04.jpg

The tank could move back about 6", but that won't clear the body and any more will be against the rear axle. Might be time to look for another tank?

Anyway, just happy that it is sort of in place and I can do some more figurin' and measure and decide what to do next... ;)

-----------------------------------

NOW I know why most folks use an S-10 chassis or build their own from scratch, since it is probably narrower and easier to put a different body on. Learn by doing, and I am certainly learning the hard way! I was looking at the '56 Chevy cab and it would probably slide right over and sit almost in the stock position with NO clearance issues. Thinking that would be the smarter thing to do and put the Int'l on hold for a bit? Nah, I'll carry on, do what I have to do to make this one work. But NEXT time ... :D

-----------------------------------

Just did some measuring and that Chevy body will practically mount to this frame in the stock position with NO clearance issues (as far as I can tell). Decision time ... re-think, re-assess...

Last edited:
The tri-5 Cheby is a slam dunk. Been there. That said, do what ever is the most fun for you. Do 'em both! What the hey! S10s are cheap.

Yup, that's right!

The tri-5 Cheby is a slam dunk. Been there. That said, do what ever is the most fun for you. Do 'em both! What the hey! S10s are cheap.

You are absolutely right! I am leaning that way and put the International on hold until finding something easier to do with it. Don't want to cut that body one bit! So, off it will come and bring on the '56 Chevrolet !!! :D

Two steps forward, rethink... and two steps back. Repeat. That's how i operate too.:rolleyes:

Haha! Yeah, seems the way it goes sometimes. But that's okay. The Int'l deserves more of a "pure rat" treatment and is surely suited for it. Another frame will come along. I am already looking! ;)

Meanwhile this project will be Chevy on Chevy and God knows what else. I found a 1950 Pontiac front clip that would look odd. LOL Nah, Going to go for a resto-mod thing with this one; a truck front end and save the crazy stuff for the NEXT one. Found a hood, one front fender, so back to the hunt ...

No work today because I went and got ... ANOTHER Chevy pickup. More complete, and new build thread started. Yes, I have the SICKNESS. And love it !!! :D

Hope to get the '49 I-H body back off the '94 chassis and out of the way to await its own build, and slide the '56 Chevy over and onto that frame tomorrow. The engine hoist and the plywood road should make things easier, since I now kinda sorta know how to do it. Then I can get the new project in the back and return my buddy's trailer and get cracking on this again. :)

Last edited:
It's a Chevy again!

Lifted and moved the I-H cab off to the side, then put some tie-down loops in the Chevy cab and lifted it up. (Thank you Chevy for convenience!)

P7010182_zpsc82a01e5.jpg

A little tricky getting it turned around the right way, but lots of plywood pieces and some floor jacks and got it into place.

P7010185_zps0c0de757.jpg

There are still some clearance issues with the front of the gas tank and OEM cab mounts, so if it has to move or get cut off, then so be it! Cab is up at least 6" off the frame in this pic, and frame jacked up on the right side to get the hoist underneath which is why it looks a-kilter.

P7010184_zps6e9e422a.jpg

I put a 1950 GMC 2 ton cab and nose on my 1990 C1500 chassis. Other than the firewall being 4" farther back on the 50 then on the 90 everything was in the same place. I used the 90 column and did not have to modify the intermediate shaft at all. I even used the 90 seat and I have the same seat to steering wheel distance as before. Then I dropped on a 1969 step side bed and it lined up perfectly with the back of the cab and the end of the frame. So the basic dimensions have not changed on those things in 40 years! Lol[cl

Well this one sure as hell won't just bolt on. Guess you lucked out! I'll figure it out, though. Not gonna let my first build be my last!!! :D

Relax. Take a deep breath. Look it over for a while. Sure, you will have go adjust a few things to get it all to fit.

The front end would look great, but it is going to take some major surgery to make it fit. You would likely need some stock front end sheet metal to graft to.

Latest posts

Back