how do you make a p-plate legal v8 ford flathead under 200kw?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer135

I was wondering the other day what i would need to do to keep a flathead under 200kw.

The P-plate laws in Australia (and in this case Queensland) of relevance say you can't drive high powered vehicles with any of the following:
-an engine that has a power output of more than 200kw or
-eight or more cylinders

I'll have to ask a few questions at the transport dept office to see whether it is legal to drive a V8 under 200kw. If not, would it still be classified as an eight cylinder if not all of the cylinders are firing?

Removing a spark plug lead or two would do the trick, and plugging up the intake ports of the non-firing cylinders to stop the wastage of fuel. What cylinders would be easiest to de-activate?

Also, would that be detrimental to a flathead's health? Would that cause damage to the cylinder walls of the non-firing cylinders, crankshaft or any major parts?

It's only going to be a temporary thing for 2 years before i get onto my open license, then I'll re-activate everything.

Man I'm glad we don't have to deal with laws like that. My Chevelle is 425 hp.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with a Flathead. What they put out about 90hp stock.

Not sure what a P-plate is, but if you can't run a V-8 for 2 years I'd suggest finding yourself a cheap 6 that'll work and build the V-8 while it's out. Running an 8 on 6 will tear it to pieces after awhile and in 2 years you'd have to pull it out anyhow.

License system here is:

- at 16y.o, you get your Learner License after passing a simple road rules test (must show L-plates on vehicle, must drive with an open licensed adult), got to hold L-plate license for 100hrs of driving which must be recorded in a logbook.
- Pass the practical driving test with a qualified driving instructor after the 100hrs are done, and you move onto P1 (red) provisional license which you must hold for 1 calendar year, showing red P-plates on your car
- Pass the (fkin easy) online hazard perception test you move onto P2 (green) provisional license which must be held for 2 years with a green p-plate on your vehicle
- You then qualify for your Open driving license.

Lose your Open license, and you start back at green or red P's, where you cannot drive vehicles with over 200kw, eight cylinders or more.

As for the 200kw/eight cylinder thing, i'll have to ask someone about that.

The frame currently has a dummy-fitted 250ci (4.1L) ford crossflow straight 6 in it, might have to get some proper engine mounts for it and weld them in properly if i can't have a flathead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back