how to strip?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiser

so I'm building an radio flyer wagon for my sons first birthday and need to strip the 5 coats of red paint that was put on with brush nice and thick... are there any liquid strippers that will take it off. I really don't wanna have to sand it down... Any thoughts?

Have it media blasted. Should be someplace local to you that can handle the task for a reasonable price, and avoiding the chemical mess makes it worth it. It will also be completely clean before you start refinishing. Makes for a much nicer end product...

P.S. Do an intro...

If you can lay it in a tray cover the bottom with lacquer thinner, it will soon lift the paint. Just reposition the wagon in the tray until you have taken the paint off all the panels. should only take a few minutes per side.

Well this wasn't what I thought it was going to be about, but since I'm here. We used to put the part into a plastic barrel and use one of those cheap vacume sand blasters. Cut down on some of the mess. Wear a respirator.

Yeah, I kinda thought when I saw the title it was going to be a little Saturday morning pick me up.:eek::D

I have used "Aircraft" stripper to remove paint (I think they call it that because it is the stronger variety) but I hate the mess it makes. The liquid ones also seem to take one layer at a time off. If you have a sandblaster or powder coater in your area they can clean it to bare metal in no time flat.

On that American Restoration show they seem to sandblast everything as it is the fastest and most cost effective way to get it all off. Other problem with liquid remover is that it will hide in the nooks and crannies and come out later to ruin the new paint sometimes.

Don

thanks guys for the help.. I have a blast cabinet at work with just sand in it.. If I can fit the wagon in it you don't think it will get to hot do you? this is an old school wagon that is still 14/16 gauge. and if it doesn't fit my pops has a blaster I could get some sand for.

I did one for my grandson last year for his 1st Bday and I had it sand blasted to get off all the old paint and rust. Yea the rust, could not take a chance of a little one getting cut on some rusted metal. Afterwords we had it powder coated. Came out great and he loves now that he is almost 2.
2011-03-19_16-10-49_901.jpg

RPMspeedwagon-2.jpg

11-14-10008.jpg

Latest posts

Back